President Trump Optimism thread

Well sure, but how many voters care about future problems when there are now problems?

I happen to disagree. Going by anecdotal evidence (conversations with friends in France, the UK and here in Spain) Trump’s election has definitely made a lot of people I know reconsider their support to more extreme options as a protest vote, so the protest vote doesn’t suddenly become a real vote.

Only the greens are. Everyone else makes the same noises as they do, right until the government plans to build a windmill somewhere near their house and then they are suddenly up in arms about property values dropping. A lot of people care about the environment only as long as it doesn’t cost them anything.

Oh, I’m sure it played a part for some people. But how many protest voters of the sort willing to vote for populist parties are the same sort that actually inform themselves about things beyond their own issues? Not many.

Ha, well that sounds a lot like Americans actually.

I think NIMBYism is a universal characteristic, and certainly one of the frictions that any collective environmental action must overcome.

I’m as guilty as the next. I still drive a car. I am at least willing to pay taxes or higher gas prices or whatever else is needed to increase carbon offsets, fund clean energy research, enforce emissions standards, and all the rest of it. I might grumble but I would never vote against such measures. But if I really wanted to walk the walk I would… walk the walk, literally.

I do the things I can. Unfortunately a car is a requirement given our living condition, but it is a hybrid at least. But I have made my electricity purchases renewable only, which is an option I have here. There is a slight price premium, but it isn’t much. I’m also looking into getting solar panels for my house at some point, but that will be a few years. Getting rainwater barrels for watering plants is another project for this summer.

Unfortunately the growth patterns of America, post WWII, do make some larger projects difficult. Certain things can only be done at a community, state, or national level. However that NIBY ism is a problem is, sadly, undeniable in many areas.

LOL! Hilarious.

I’m starting to have real stress about how much plastic I use.

Cosmetically or environmentally speaking?

These new buttocks were SUCH a bad idea.

Perhaps the absurd nepotism of the Trump administration will eventually get people upset.The daily dose of optimism.

Rat runs onto sinking ship, looks around, runs straight back off:

He probably found out you don’t get any sort of special pin or medal for being in DHS.

-Tom

And that killing babies might be investigated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1cFIrLReU

The president of the united states, shitposting gifs

Look at those tiny, tiny hands.

So, about that multiverse theory… I’d like to relocate to a nearby universe if it wouldn’t be too much trouble.

Dude, did you not watch Sliders? Best to stay put.

Maybe I just fell into one of the Sliders’ evil parallel dimensions. I just want back out is all.

The alternate dimension has a competent Donald Trump that has us all in camps by now.