President Trump Optimism thread

They typically have a list of things one has to do/avoid and the ability to levy fines.

But I mean… What if you just… Don’t pay the fine? Or do you have to sign a binding contract to even buy the house in the first place or something?

You should do ninja ops at night and take a dump on the head of the HOAs lawn.

I am being serious.

Or just put the inoffensive sign on their lawn every night

Do both

There is usually a contract from what I understand.

It’s just suburban fascism most of the time. The origins are understandable, you don’t want some nimrod painting his house pink, leaving garbage all over the place and driving down property values. But most of the time it goes well beyond that into petty people on a power trip.

Well, I presume they could take you to court and you wind up paying fines and legal fees too.

Yeah, sorry, that’s the assumption I was making with the contract comment.

Man, that stuff is dumb as fuck. I’d love a neighbour with a pink house.

Maybe… until you wanted to sell or take out a mortgage anyway.

But a lot of them go well beyond that into OCD territory where they measure your grass with a ruler and other insane shit.

Fair enough, but you know this stuff before you buy a place. It’s usually established when the neighborhood is (sometimes by a builder, who later hands it off to the homeowners association or whatever). In some places, it never comes up unless someone makes a fuss. I couldn’t even tell you who I’d need to contact where we currently live. But in other places, like planned communities and stuff, they can be a huge pita.

It might belie my ridiculous Millennial mindset, but viewing homes as investments is super weird to me. I mean, on an intellectual level, I can understand why someone might be unhappy that their $400,000 McMansion only sells for $401,000 ten years later or whatever, inflation, etc., but then again, since the idea of owning anything worth more than my long series of lovingly used cars is more or less completely alien to me. . . shrug

In NC they can put a lien on your property.

The HOA for me is very hands-off which is good. Some rules which make sense, one of which is no political signs.

Even if you accept that as a reasonable limitation (I absolutely do not), it is a sad commentary on our nation that a sign showing interlocking hands and decrying hatred could possibly be construed as political

At first blush I read ‘lien’ as ‘lion.’

Which would be cool.

It’s not the content of the sign usually but a sign itself. I am with you though. I avoid HOAs when I went shopping. Then again, you can wind up with a neighbor that kind of ruins the neighborhood with no real recourse.

I would never put a sign like that on my house though or on my car, some Trump supporter would likely vandalize my property.

I actually read it as ‘an alien’

Even cooler 😎

They can keep fining you and fining you, fining you and eventually in some state foreclose. I racked up (or rather my tenant) $1,200 in fines in addition to not paying me, when I finally sold the condo, they took the $1,200 from the sales proceeds.

Clif

Oh you sweet naive soul.

I don’t even live in a particularly nice neighborhood, but I don’t think you could even find a mobile home around here for under $300,000.

Let’s not start talking house prices please or your old buddy divedivedive is going to have to start drinking before 10am on a Sunday.