President Trump Optimism thread

39.4% of Americans being irredeemable fucking idiots sounds about right.

Christ, that’s depressing.

I “approve” of Trump’s job performance insofar as it hasn’t actually resulted in the demise of American democracy, yet.

Also, only 90 minutes away here from getting through 2017 without a nuclear exchange with N. Korea. I approve!

You know who else hasn’t resulted in the demise of American democracy in 2017…

Hashtag weirdly optimistic daily Godwin?

I’m optimistic he’ll get jailed or die a horrible death in 2018.

I chuckled:

I don’t recall seeing this here. When David Letterman was asked if he missed being on TV now that Trump was elected, he replied:

“Here’s what I keep saying: We know there’s something wrong, but what I’m tired of is people ― daily, nightly, on all the cable news shows ― telling us there’s something wrong. I just think we ought to direct our resources and our energies to doing something about it. And other people have made this point: If the guy was running Dairy Queen, he’d be gone. This guy couldn’t work at The Gap. So why do we have to be victimized by his fecklessness, his ignorance? But it’s just the behavior is insulting to Americans, whether you voted for him or not ― and I feel bad for people who did vote for him because he promised them things that they really needed and one wonders if he’s really going to come through. I know there’s trouble in this country and we need a guy who can fix that trouble. I wish it was Trump, but it’s not, so let’s just stop whining about what a goon he is and figure out a way to take him aside and put him in a home.“

It would be really hard to prove Letterman is wrong here.

But who is doing this ‘figuring out’? The cabinet and Congress are the only ones capable of removing Trump. The rest of us can vote in 2018, as we must, but short of armed rebellion there’s not much else for us to do. I suppose if Congressional Republicans’ constituents started clamoring for impeachment, they might grow a pair, but how likely is that to happen? Those constituents are by and large not a part of the mythical ‘we’ that Letterman seems to be invoking.

I mean Letterman is right, but ultimately the only answer lies in the hands of Congress, who refuse to do anything.

So the only real ‘solution’ is to vote them all out, which we can’t do right now.

I agree that cable news sounds like a broken record for the last year. But public service is not glamorous or appealing to most people. And in modern history there have been several people with aspirations in the public sphere who were targeted by violence. MLK, JFK, RFK are all dead. Even Reagan was shot.

Maybe JFK Jr. would have made a strong candidate?

Trump has gotten the ACLU to get directly involved in politics.

Not really a fan of that, but I guess they’ve been drifting in that direction anyway.

Good article from Frum. You read now

My wife was sworn in as a US citizen this morning, and during the ceremony, they played a video of Trump giving a short speech about how great it is to become an American. It sounded like a pretty stock speech that’s probably changed very little over the last several decades, and he read it as he usually does with anything scripted - rigid and just a notch above monotone, while squint-glaring at the teleprompter. Anyways, as soon as it popped up, there were about a dozen audible groans from the back of the courtroom, where friends and family sit.

Of course, this came just a day after Trump referred to most of their homes as “shitholes”, but the spectacle of witnessing 50 freshly minted voters with an axe to grind and seeing another load of 50 queued up behind us as we left the courthouse was a sprig of optimism.

Congrats to your wife!

That’s awesome. Congrats!

Congratulations to your wife. Has she decided which country she wants to move to yet? :)

Congrats! My wife was just sworn in last June. Thank god I didn’t have to sit through any Trump bullshit. They did however navigate to youtube on a web browser on the big screen to bring us a video of Lee Greenwood.

So classy!