President Trump Optimism thread

Black Cat, by chance? That place is kind of a headshop but lots of weird stuff like that, and it’s been there forever. My folks only moved there in like 98, but we’d been visiting since the late 80s.

Don’t think the store I am referring to is still there. Don’t recall the name. But iirc, it was on or near a corner and had a big octagonal shaped room with lots of windows.

I went to Gatlinburg with a brother and my parents back in 2005. We loved all the short drives to beautiful spots in the Smokey Mountain National Parks, and what’s weird about their “tourist trap” nature is that I love their tourist trap stuff! Their aquarium is the best Aquarium I’ve ever been in. And the whole town is full of miniature golf places. And me and my brother loved doing all the mini-golf courses.

I’d say as far as Tourist traps go, it’s my favorite Tourist Trap in the world. I would recommend it to anyone who loves waterfalls, hiking, mini-golf and aquariums.

Trying to think of something to be optimistic about but all I have is that Sarah Huckabee Sanders has nice hair.

The Stepford Corporation uses only the best materials.

They caught the beltway snipers right?

I’m not a fan of Mitt Romney but my initial reaction is that i’d take him over Orrin Hatch any day. That man is such a flaccid piece of shit.

At the end of the day Romney will vote the party line. That’s what you get when you elect him.

I dunno, he’s really anti-Trump. I can see some divergence at least until Trump is gone.

He might be opposed to Trump the person, but he’s not opposed to the Republican platform. He’s still going to try to remove healthcare, cut taxes for the rich, and so on.

I think there will be a reckoning at some point where truly fiscally conservative politicians will divorce themselves from the socially repugnant parts of the Republican platform and have some success. I don’t see Mitt Romney as the harbinger of that, though.

True. But at least he’s not crazy, embarrassing or craven. He’s not going to tell Trump he’s a better President than Lincoln or suborn Congress Devin Nunes-style.

We’re setting the bar pretty low.

I’m certainly not going to vote for him. I’m just saying when he inevitably wins, he’ll at least be better than fucking Orrin Hatch. That man is a repulsive piece of shit who never passes up an opportunity to fuck over constituents at the behest of any industry that donates to his campaign. I know, I know, that doesn’t exactly make him a unique snowflake, but still.

I can at least feel confident that Romney won’t be licking Trump’s boots telling him he’s the greatest president the country has ever seen. Vote the party line, yes, but probably not a complete an utter Trump toady.

Like @Oghier just said while I was typing this, it’s a pretty low bar, but it is what it is.

These two statements are directly opposed. No Republican is anything but crazy, embarrassing, and/or craven.

There are two Trump presidencies. There’s the one where he starts World War III and turns the U.S. into a fascist white supremacist authoritarian dictatorship, and there’s the one where he advocates gutting the EPA, slashing taxes on the rich, eviscerating all public health care assistance, appointing judges solely on the basis of whether they would vote pro-life positions, and sheltering the NRA from those pesky libruls who get salty every time a bunch of kids get slaughtered by a rifle-wielding maniac.

The first Trump presidency hasn’t happened yet, and Romney would oppose that. The second Trump presidency has been happening all along, and Romney, like virtually all Republicans, will back it.

I agree.

The “fuck democracy and especially the poor” policies are awful, and they’ll do lasting damage to our country. But the unhinged toddler in charge with the nuclear codes could end our species. That’s the worst thing I can imagine.

Yeah, it’s The Dead Zone except Trump shields himself with the child and still gets elected. Because emails!

Yes he will.

That’s a great photo. Romney looks embarrassed and Trump looks gleeful. It captures the moment.

Romney’s just wishing his faith didn’t prohibit him from imbibing alcohol. He looks like he could use a stiff drink.