President Trump Optimism thread

Okay so when I say they don’t vote, I don’t mean literally none of them vote. They’re turn-out is worse than other generations though… and then the black vote really went down too.

No, I was agreeing with you. All that mountain of social media hype did was convince other people in key areas that going out to vote would be both a hassle and a waste of time, because it was already covered.

Thankfully for you and me, we just mail our votes in and be lazy.

Heh, every state should have mail in as an option. It’s just silly they don’t.

Only silly if you want people to vote! If you’re an unscrupulous political party that depends on low overall voter turnout to keep winning elections, well then, you’d fight tooth and nail to avoid mail in voting. Or no excuse absentee. Or improved polling hours. Etc, etc.

The really absurd thing to me is that we don’t vote during the weekend, to avoid conflicting with work schedules. You know, like the freakin’ rest of the world. You’d think the system is rigged for fewer voters voting…

-Tom

Well, the right people don’t have a problem voting on the weekend.

Not like the rest of the world! UK elections are always held on a Thursday.

Its been argued that we should move Veterans day to voting day, so that it will be a holiday.

As others have pointed out, it’s not in the interest of the those in power to making voting easy.

Yep, and I wonder if there’s a recent example of some dumbass voting decision made in the UK that might reinforce the idea that maybe it’s better to let more people vote more easily. Anything come to mind? :)

-Tom

I couldn’t possibly comment.

Uh oh. Good news. Can we get an edgelord take?
(Kidding. Sorta.)

http://iop.harvard.edu/spring-2018-poll?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top-stories

A new national poll of America’s 18- to 29-year-olds by Harvard’s Institute of Politics (IOP), located at the Kennedy School of Government, finds a marked increase in the number of young Americans who indicate that they will “definitely be voting” in the upcoming midterm Congressional elections. Overall, 37 percent of Americans under 30 indicates that they will “definitely be voting,” compared to 23 percent who said the same in 2014, and 31 percent in 2010, the year of the last “wave” election.

Dems will likely win POTUS and maybe the Senate. But the House too? No way in Hell.

Reps will never allow this level of patriotism and support of the veterans!

er… I think it’s generally accepted that it’s more likely that they will take the house than the senate, isn’t it?

Yes, the Senate is really stacked against them this midterm.

You’re right. But only because there are so few Rep seats up for grabs versus Dems.

Nate Silver’s (early) take on the Senate. Spoiler: Right now, 30-40%. Which is much higher than it used to be as Democrats are facing a historically bad map.

I wish I believed it. But young people don’t vote. It is known.

Human behavior is fixed, you’re saying? Because we have always done X, we will always do X?
I’m old and jaded and all, but even I don’t believe that.

I confess I didn’t vote in a presidential election until I was 25. I missed the '92 election by days (turned 18 on November 14th) and in '96 I dunno… I just felt like Clinton was obviously gonna win and I wasn’t really following politics much.

In 2000 I was much, much, much more engaged, and have voted pretty consistently since then.

I absolutely hope to be proved wrong. But I also hope that Democrats aren’t pinning their midterm hopes on a huge number of young people turning out to vote, because there’s little historical evidence that they will.

https://civicyouth.org/21-3-youth-turnout-preliminary-estimate-comparable-to-recent-midterm-years/