Presidential Alert

I got it, but my phone was on silent. No buzz, beeps, vibration or anything else. Just a message on my lock screen. I work in a packed office and didn’t hear anyone’s phone make noise.

I really don’t care as long as it’s not abused. Of course I don’t trust the current administration to not abuse it.

Seems like they could have left “presidential” off of it. Just make it an emergency test.

You guys can always take a page from the MAGA crowd and just smash you phones.

/s <—

So the better question is… did they only hit phones in the US or did people elsewhere get it? How do they know who they’re sending it to? I’m sure there is a detailed technical explanation of how they’re doing this somewhere…

I have project Fi and it came though loud and proud. I’m using the Nexus 5 still so maybe it’s your fancy-boy phone.

Message from a friend of mine who recently moved back to Canada:

“Sounds like I’m in the right country. Who’s free now, bitches?”

Same.

Wait, how many phones do you have?

Just the two. I guess I made it sound like a lot wording it that way but they both sit at my desk during the working day, so it was loud. They went off at the exact same time. Verizon and ATT.

I’ll admit I briefly pictured you being a secret agent with phones for various front businesses and disguises.

Heh, there was a time when I had a pager, two personal cell phones and a landline. I’ve… scaled back. Having a pager was always super annoying. It’s like one of the most useless devices out here. I am sure it was great at one point.

Do you really need an emergency alert system that is national? The only type of event that I can conceive that would warrant that is global nuclear war, and in that case having an alert isn’t even helpful.

No we don’t.

There are already regional warnings from the National Weather Service and the like for things like hurricanes and tornadoes.

There is no event beyond thermonuclear war that would require people in New York, Iowa, Florida and California to all get a message about it.

This.

FTL finally ported over to the Switch I think could qualify as such an event.

That would have been funny. Only the best and most popular alerts, believe me, you’ll love them, I tell you.

But how else will they trigger the Two Minutes Hate?

Alien invasion, imminent asteroid impact, partisan memo clearing Trump of all collusion, eighty thousand eighty-five…