Prime Day

I already hung mine in the bathroom. So far, one weather report. I look forward to being creative with it.

I sort of like the dumb jokes Alexa tells: “I’m reading a book on anti-gravity. I can’t put it down!”

My google home now covers the bathroom. My GF uses the shit out of it for streaming and as a big giant bluetooth speaker. I occasionally ask it what the weather is like outside. Maybe once I’ve asked about my commute.

If I could get it to read forum posts … now we’d be talking.

That decanter is pretty badass.

How do you like the hanging bracket thing? Worth a purchase?

It works. There seems to be enough space above it to use the second outlet in the wall. No complaints.

Done deal.

Just got home and found that my wife and kid had already unpacked the decanter, filled it with Nikka 12-year whisky (not bad, but I probably wouldn’t get it again), and set if up on my computer hutch.

I have to say, it does look pretty good.

I’m not certain that having whisky withing arm’s reach at all times is a good idea, but I’m open to the possibilities.

I’ve been trying to figure out this intercom thing. I skipped over the “new feature” intro when the Alexa app updated.

And Amazon prime day marked the beginning of Tim’s descent into alcoholism…

Amazon Prime Day - now with Free Games!

One free PC game every day through July 18th on Twitch Prime. Titles include Pillars of Eternity and Brutal Legend, and exclusive in-game loot for Warframe and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

Okay, so I will freely admit I have no idea what Amazon Twitch is because I do absolutely nothing Twitch. I’m sure I’ll figure it, eventually.

Basically a free sub to a twitch channel and lots of free stuff.

I think you have to use it on a channel to get the stuff, so maybe see if there is any charity or the like that has streams and just sub to them for it.

If you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber you get Twitch Prime. Just sign-in.

Basically gives you a bunch of perks, like ad-free viewing and, if you’re a Fortnite player, tons of exclusive skins and stuff.

Pretty sure you don’t. I linked my Prime account a few months ago and I don’t recall subscribing to anything. You do have to install their launcher app, unfortunately.

You just sign into your twitch account, click on the crown and click “claim offer” and you’re done.

You do get a free subscription to hand out every month, but you don’t have to use it to claim the free games/content.

Remember to check out The Wirecutter for recommendations on Prime day.

Last year our staff scanned nearly 24,000 deals and found only 112 worth posting.

This Prime Day will be like all those before it. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

You know, Amazon owns Woot, so it surprises me that they don’t take that to their front page in some way, Prime Day or not.

Like, the best selling items off Prime Day each get a Woot day or similar, as a second chance for people. Hell for all I know they already do that.

Holy shit they do? Talk about a wasted opportunity.

They have the Woot deals off the main Amazon deals page, and now let you use Prime shipping with Woot purchases (though as far as I can tell they’re still just as glacially slow about actually handing packages off to a shipping company as they used to be), and sometimes one or more of the daily deals is listed as being “from our friends at Woot”.

Yeah it was sad when the took over, and it just sort of died slowly but surely after they did. It’s just not the same, not only with the stuff but the approach. It’s just Amazon’s dumping ground for refurb and off-brand stuff now, so it seems.