Prime Day

It should be here when I get home; I’m looking forward to it.

I figured I’d be waiting for weeks/months for the SSDs that were sold out, but I just got a notice that they will arrive on or before July 19th. Really looking forward to getting them installed in to the computers, but a little nervous about getting Windows over on them and setting them up as the boot drives. I have never “moved” Windows to a new drive, I have always just started with a fresh instance. This will be my first attempt at doing a copy. Sounds like Crucial’s movement tools may not be all that great to use.

I just did this last week and basically ruined my machine. Fortunately, I had a helpful IT pro nearby willing to bail me out of that boat.

I was cloning a 1 TB magnetic hard drive onto a 512 GB Samsung SSD. My attempt used the Samsung Data Migration tool, which left the machine unbootable.

My IT guy wound up reformatting the SSD and running the clone again with Symantec Ghost (11.5). He says that it copies all the data but does not replicate the boot setup. (This doesn’t sound so different from what I ended up with.) He then used a Windows install USB drive to repair the boot sector on the new drive. Then everything was ok.

I just noticed I received an email yesterday with a $30 amazon credit, I had tried to use the VISA30 code on Prime day, but it was discontinued late in the afternoon. Seems people were outraged. So anyone that tried to use it and didn’t get it to work, got $30 in free Amazon credit.

This made me so happy.

Aw nice, I tried to use that code. It was very late in the day though like literally 11:30 pm!

edit: huh, went to buy something unrelated and I did get the $30 credit after all. Good on you, Amazon.

I’ve been using the world’s shittiest smartphone ever with my dirt cheap Tracfone service (my phone, service, and everything literally cost me $10 for the year 2016).

But I hate it so much I want to smash it with a sledge hammer and then run over the debris with my car, so I bit on the Blu R1 HD during Prime Day. I chose the 16 / 2 GB model with ads so it was $60 ($50 since I got in on the gift card promo) and though I’ve only had it for a couple days I must say that I am very impressed so far.

I also bought a resistance band set so I can pretend like I’m going to get into shape some day, and a knockoff SNES USB controller for all my 8 and 16 bit emulation needs. So, for me anyway, Prime Day was a great success!

It’s baaaaaaaaaaack! July 11. Amazon is cleaning out the dusty corners of the warehouse.

And it’ll be as boring as the previous days.

I hope to pick up a couple of cheap DOTs , and then I’ll have Alexa in every room.

Some day, prime day won’t be so lame.
I guess I got my instant pot last year or the year before for a good deal… but generally, prime day has been shit like, “5% of a 5 pack of underwear!”

They usually have a couple, meaning less than 10, strong deals throughout the day. But that’s out of literally hundreds of shitty deals.

The Wirecutter does a great job filtering through the garbage.

Prime Day isn’t all that great, but it’s still kinda fun and I usually pick up a couple interesting items.

So it was actually 64 good deals out of 7950 total, last year.

They need to make it an amazon version of the summer steam sale.

Hell, I just want Amazon’s Black Friday deals to be good like they used to be, particularly wrt dvd & blu-ray.

Shit yes.

I used to be able to count on finding at least one thing for everyone in the family. The last 2-3 years, pretty much nothing.

I know, it’s been so depressing.

Best Buy and others have been really good on Black Friday lately… gamewise anyway