Prime Day

That’s when they release the Echo 2, at half the price.

And twice as many people inside!

All of you people paying Google or Amazon to put listening devices all through your homes are creeping me out. How fast we have moved from “this Friends and Family plan is an outrageous affront to my privacy” to “take all my private data, family photos, purchase history, and listen to all the chatter in my home so I can verbally reorder toilet paper without leaving the throne”.

You’re on this message board, so I assume you have some level understanding. You give up some level of privacy to be on the internet, to have a cellphone, or checking account. There are people who won’t even do that. Your threshold is just different, not better.

Considering that it was a giant pile of not very good deals so massive as to make it prohibitively difficult to identify anything that might be a good deal, that is indeed crazy.

Then again, I did order a hardcover comic collection because fuckit, $5 off (with a coupon I didn’t see advertised on the site) was more than one often sees on those things, so I guess I’m part of the problem.

And may I add. Fuck OnStar.

Bing able to request music or the weather while wrangling a 3 year old and a 9 month old is fucking amazing.

And like google, it’s all about the apps. Setting up ambient music, or having it tell you some trivia is small, but it adds up.

This prime day was definitely better. There was much more useful stuff to buy, not just 5 cents off underwear.

Yeah but this year the underwear deals were no good!

I hate prime day as a customer. I just hate it. Their interface is horrible for finding deals i actually want and most of the time anything actually decent is gone instantly.

Last year i was off for prime day and ended up spending a large portion of the day looking for crap to buy.

This year i spent about 40 minutes looking through amazon to save $5 on a bluray that i kind of wanted (The raid 1 & 2 bluray for $10) but probably didn’t really need. If you don’t think about how much your time is worth, that sounds great, but it just is not worth it. I suppose there is some sense of pleasure in finding a sale for something you want though.

That said, as someone who works for a business that sells products on Amazon, prime day is a large increase to sales even when you don’t actually have special deals on it.

If you have not seen The Raid 1 or 2, then you needed that purchase.

Agreed. Really terrible interface.

Ther game price glitches only last like 30 minutes on Monday night when the sales started going live.

So I got a Kindle Paperwhite, which I used to replace my ancient 2nd gen Kindle. Seems very nice. Lighter and smaller than the old one, with a nice backlight. (Not technically a backlight)

I also got a Roomba 625. It was like a hundred bucks off, and I had wanted one for a while.

I just hooked it up, and decided to turn it on and see how well it worked. It wasn’t charged all the way yet, but whatever.

The little dude started running all over. My one cat Claudia was mesmerized, following it around. My other cat Max was not amused by it, and just stayed the hell away.

The thing ran all over the first floor of my house. After a while, its battery was done, and it found its way back to the charge station, lined itself up, and docked, playing a little triumphant tune. I was amused.

I actually vacuumed normally before using it, because I hadn’t in a while and it was pretty filthy. Despite that, the Roomba picked up a ton of dirt. I was impressed.

It’s a cool little thing. I scheduled it to clean in the morning on weekdays, after I leave for work. Will be interesting to see if it destroys my house tomorrow while I’m gone.

How does the the Roomba do with with cords and carpet to floor shifts? I read, not so read great in these areas.

It went over a few changes, like thing from the carpeted areas into the kitchen with the linoleum, and didn’t have any trouble with the bump.

I didn’t have any cords that it ran over, so I can’t say how well it would handle it.

Hopefully she will start riding it soon and lord it over Max. If so, post the vid!

I’m days late to this thread, but the Echo-in-the-bathroom subthread just had me grinning. Mostly because I know that every time I went into the bathroom, my wife would use one of the other devices to set a “reminder” that her husband is spending too much time on the toilet.

I got:

• A new kitchen faucet that looks identical to my old kitchen faucet, but not all dinged up.
  • Two new work-shirts.
  • A new wireless switch (Insteon)
  • A new wireless outlet (Insteon)
  • A gardening tools set (gift for my daughter)
  • An etched globe whisky decanter.

… That last one kind of freaked me out. I got an email notification that the order had been processed and assumed that my account had been compromised. I’m not the kind of guy to own something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWYMN08/

I called my wife to let her know that I was going to change the password on our account and call the credit-card companies.

No, no, she says, don’t do that – that’s your birthday present! You know, from two weeks ago when everyone forgot your birthday.

So now I’m apparently a guy who has etched booze decanters lying around. I didn’t THINK I was a wizened old man, but it seems I was wrong. It should be there waiting for me when I get home.

Honestly that’s a cool gift. Cheers, man!

Yeah, you need one of those classic bar carts with all your booze stored in crystal decanters, like classy guys have in the movies.

I’m definitely putting the third dot in my bathroom with that plastic hanging bracket thing. Did you know echoes worked as intercoms now? So if someone wants to know when I’ll be finished taking a shit, rather than texting or iMessaging or Signaling or Skyping or just plain calling the ipad already in my hands, or for that matter speaking at normal volume because I live in a modestly sized one-bedroom NYC apartment, they can go all “Alexa, drop in on the shitter” and then ask me when I’ll be finished with my bidness just like that!

Technology. It makes our lives better.