Prison Architect - the thread

Surprised not to find this yet.

RPS has a hands on. Colorful yet somber juxtaposed, and some initial design concepts expounded on - will you go for efficiency or care, monetary savings or souls saved. Lots of good stuff in the comments as well about the various events that could take place, both internal and external, to make your task more challenging and varied.

First trailer teaser, but quite full of detail. Gives me a huge Dwarf Fortress vibe, which I can’t help but be excited about.

… great, now I’m thinking Introversion should make this moddable somehow. Fortress ahoy. :P

More:

The official page - a placeholder only.

If people hacked the electrons out of the hardcoded bytes of uplink to make mods I honestly doubt there won’t be modadbility, of some sort, to this.

I love the graphics, have a fun MONACO vibe to it.

The RPS preview sort of mirrors my sentiments. The game could definitely pass as Theme Prison or Sim Jail as you’re managing stuff down to the level of placing lamps and water pipes. Wonder if the main game will offer more of the layer shown in the tutorial, or if it’s more focused on the pure build/manage part. It’s certainly motivating to try it again and again to come with a more efficient or humane design.

At the same time, yep, it almost feels almost a bit ‘too normal’ for a game made by the guys that developed Uplink, Darwinia and DEFCON.

I wish someone with a much darker sense of humor was making an M-rated version of this game. If this was Oz: The Game, it could be beyond awesome. Unfortunately they probably don’t have the stomach to go that dark. Still could be fun, though…

I think there is a board game for the likes of you.

This is an Introversion game? I just assumed it was a joke thread about a budget “Tycoon”-type game.

The game is already looking superb!

one thing i wish introversion would learn from the recent industry trend - have an alpha funding system with access to early builds!

You have no idea how helpful the community can be in pointing out straight away what is working and what doesn’t. so instead of finding it out much later in the development process, because, frankly, we developers sometimes have extreme blind spots, have the option to track those design problems early on AND have the benefits of continual and gradual money income.

This is a win-win situation, the motivation for developing is skyrocketing as good feedback comes in, the fans feels much more involved, the game IS getting much better designed and there aren’t any money issues.

Obviously a line has to be drawn, but better have “floating”, “bad” and simply “irrelevant” suggestions than keeping that one annoying feature that seems perfectly fine to the developers but can actually ruin the experience for the players.

Aww, I came in this thread thinking i’d be the first to suggest OZ: The video game. I don’t think it needs to be dark necessarily, just be able to dynamically create prisoner groupings and hierarchies, corrupt guards, good intentions constantly producing the opposite results (and sometimes not), and so on.

Weren’t these the guys who were supposed to be making an Ocean’s Eleven type heist game? I’m pretty sure I remember hearing that.

They put it aside because they were having trouble making it fun.

If only the movie makers had done the same when they had trouble making the movie good.

It’s been put on hold because they were working on Subversion for ages without actually getting somewhere. The city generator Introversion developed for the game can be downloaded if you buy the Humble Introversion Bundle.

Well that sucks. I hope they figure it out eventually, it looked interesting.

I want to make an HD Superjail! tileset for this when it comes out.

I’d like this game idea better if it was called Michel Foucault’s Prison Architect

This is a game I feel uncomfortable with. I just hate prisons, hate the idea of locking people away with no other purpose than punishment. I DO like what they’re trying with the “Souls Saved” portion, but… I’ll have to wait and see.

I can’t say I care at ALL about Prison Tycoon. I think it’s dumb and don’t think about it for more than a second. This, however, makes me uncomfortable because I’ve bought every Introversion game (save the XBL one) and will probably buy this one as well.

A wise man (actually the prison architect who lived up the road) once told me: “Going to prison is the punishment, prison is not”.

I would be very interested in Introversion’s take on Theme Prison, but I hope they do something more interesting than that. Their previous games have all been very unique.

Hasn’t this already been done? (Skip to 1:30)

I agree with this. This feels to me like it comes too close to the concept I had of making Holocaust Tycoon, with pretty much the same art and play style and option of going a Schindler-route. Of course, that was mostly thought up to see how far we can take “it’s just a game!”.