Probably cutting the TV cord soon--advice?

If you find out anything about Channels not working and kicking them to get them started again, please let me know. My update and restart doesn’t seem to work for everyone. I tell you if it weren’t for these random stability problems, I’d pay foor premium to get a few extras.

I paid for premium for about a year when it was a requirement for Plex to work on Xbox and PS4. I’d gladly go premium again if I got one of those “half off” offers they sometimes give by email to certain people for a lifetime subscription. My brother got one in his email. So $75 for a lifetime subscription, instead of $150. Sadly I’ve never gotten that offer.

Around the holidays last year they had an offer to get Premium for about $100 and I picked it up. I set an alert at Slickdeals and/or Techbargains and it notified me when it went on sale.

I remember that Denny. We even had a discussion in one of the threads about whether it was worth it. After I found out from you that my legacy HDHomerun wouldn’t work with Plex for recording LiveTV, I didn’t pull the trigger. Remember?

It’s 20% off right now. Plex goes on sale not rarely but more like…infrequently.

Oh, right! I ended up taking advantage of their offer to upgrade the legacy HDHomeRun, then sold my old one at work, so my net hardware cost was about $25. :)

Has anyone here seen ESPN on SlingTV and Playstation Vue?

On both, I used the access to WatchESPN, the app, and used that to watch Tennis. But my dad finally cut his satellite subscription and wanted to watch the French Open, but he wanted to see it like he used to on DVR. Does either Sling or Vue allow playback of the ESPN broadcast coverage? Does anyone know? Or will he have to rely on ESPN3/WatchESPN if he wants to show the matches on his own time?

This is all I could find about DVR’ing SlingTV: Sling TV DVR

For a while, Sling was live view only, so would not be DVR-like. Vue was. With that link @Demorve just posted, it sounds like Sling does that too, now.

Yes, one can watch live and DVRed ESPN programming on Vue. Though Vue’s cloud DVR works fairly differently than a traditional DVR device. It’ll take a while to fully explain it, but the most immediate​ thing to flag is that the DVR doesn’t​ let you adjust start or end times. So live events, like sports or awards shows, can be tricky because the recording might not have the ending if it runs past the scheduled end time.

I ended up going with Sling TV, with a cloud DVR, for $30 a month. I am not sure it is really worth it, because I am pretty sure if I called Comcast and said I have internet though them, but could I get a DVR and cable for $30 more a month, they would do it. Of course that would last a year and I would have to call back and threaten to cancel to continue the deal. Plus they have lots of little added charges they put on your bill like a “local channels” fee, so I am probably still saving a couple of dollars.

The service isn’t great though. Can’t pause live TV, at least not that I can see. You can’t record Disney owned channels (not that it is an issue for me). The picture and sound are fine, but I often felt like the frame rate is slightly below cable. There doesn’t seem to be an easy to get to guide to set recordings either. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine for my needs, but if I was a heavy cable TV viewer I would rather go through Comcast. My sole purpose though is to watch English soccer, and the occasional TV show like Top Chef and the Walking Dead, and for that, it is perfect. I also like that I don’t have to deal with Comcast and their little fees.

I also love that they have apps for everything. I watched soccer this morning on my Apple TV and then decided to go into my office to get some things done and put the game in a window on my computer. Their apps are quick loading and really easy to use so far.

So far I like it, if you are a light TV viewer, I think it is probably a great option for people.

For Sling, do I need to buy the set-top box, or can I do it all from the Roku?

You do it all from your Roku (or appletv, androidtv, firetv, macOS program, windows app, iOS app, or android app).

Ok, thanks. I was reading on the FAQ that if you use the ROKU, you have to use a smartphone or tablet to change the channels, is that true?

I don’t use my Roku anymore and never subscribed to SlingTV, but I would be downright flabberghasted if that were true.

My Roku has a remote and I use it 98% of the time (actually my harmony but it’s emulating the roku remote so tomato/ tomato). I guess there could be something REALLY funky with the SlingTV Roku app but I seriously doubt it.

My bad. I had Slingbox and SlingTV mixed up.

If anyone is interested, I recently switched from Playstation VUE to DirecTV Now. DirecTV streaming is good these days for anybody who had previous reservations.I don’t really miss the DVR as most shows are available on catch-up. HBO for $5 is a bargain too.

They should have the CBS channels soon plus Showtime and there is a DVR feature in Beta right now.

I was really torn between Sling and DirecTV. With HBO, they are about the same price. The deciding factor for me was that Slings iOS app ratings were a lot higher. Probably not fair since iOS store ratings can be absurd, but that’s how I decided.