Probably cutting the TV cord soon--advice?

Crisis “averted”.

The short answer is that it appears all I needed to do was sign in again from the PS4 itself first, then sign into the iPad app again. It’s working now.

But I had to follow an inaccurate maze of Sony support pages to piece this together, including running into the hilarious error that I was signed in on too many devices at once so I needed to sign out of something and wait for three hours and then try to sign in on a new device.

That wasn’t me trying to sign in to stream anything on a new device, that was just me trying to manage my account from a few different browsers after suspecting maybe some menu or functionality was missing when browsing in Safari.

Clusterfuck from top to bottom.

The only way I use vue when outside the house is I always openvpn back to my house. Vue seems to be super strict about location, blah blah blah.

Is there a way to stream music from Google Play to a Roku device? The only app I can find is Google Play Movies and TV, which I’m not sure is the same thing.

You’re basically shit out of luck. Google would need to make a Roku channel for that. There supposedly used to be a third-party channel that worked, as well as a Plex plugin, but both broke years ago. The only solution I found was installing Allcast on a rooted android phone and then pushing music through uPnP.

Music is weird when it comes to streaming channels. It’s like some of them have deals so you can’t get the channels on some devices… seems to be a lot more deals around Music than TVs and Movies. They just need to treat these devices like hardware, not their little content gardens.

I think it’s more of a matter of GPM being a failure and Google not bothering to support it here. Roku is a third-party and is generally exempt from those sorts of shenanigans. Unfortunately they chose to support Miracast for streaming which is complete dogshit compared to Chromecast or Airplay, both of which work fine with GPM.

Of course they can’t support Airplay, and I would guess Google won’t allow them to support Chromecast either.

This is one major reason why I generally recommend FireTV over Roku for low to mid-end streaming boxes. It’s android, so you can root it and do whatever the hell you want. Install an Airplay or Chromecast receiver, install third-party software that Amazon doesn’t support, etc, anything is possible.

Well you can get Amazon Video on PlayStation but you can’t get their music channel. You’re not actually claiming Amazon Music is a failure right. I believe Sony has a deal with Spotify.

If you go with FireTV, you loose Vudu.

Without jailbreaking or some sort of custom software, outside a PC, there doesn’t seem to be a universal device… yet.

Yes, Amazon Music is a failure also. Spotify basically owns the market, Apple Music is a notable second place, then everybody else is basically a loser.

You can watch Vudu movies in Movies Anywhere, can’t you? I guess it doesn’t cover everything, though. But since it’s android, you can get Vudu on there by sideloading anyway.

Do you and I really have to do this again stusser? Amazon is the third biggest. Spotify has 40% that means 60% of the market is not theirs. Not being No. 1 does not mean a failure. And that’s their subscription, they still sell music flat out.

There are a number of big studios that are currently not participating in Movies Anywhere.

Streaming not so much but that’s true, people definitely buy music from Amazon.

Just sideload the Vudu app from apkmirror. Download it with the AFTV guy’s downloader app. It isn’t frictionless, but it will work.

July 2017

Well I already said you could custom do it, but you shouldn’t have to.

Friend of mine actually subscribes to Amazon Music, because he has kids and they like the way it works on the Echo. I was pretty surprised to hear that.

Back on topic, advantage of an android device is that it’s open and nobody ever says “you’re shit out of luck”. Instead they say “you need to do these 14 things and then it’ll work”. And if you’re a technical sophisticated user, you can do that.

If you’re technically savy, why wouldn’t you just setup a HTPC and have access to everything? I assume most of us choose streaming because it’s easy.

Actually looking at that chart, I question whether they’re talking about the Prime Music that comes included with the Amazon Prime subscription (~2 million songs) or Amazon Music Unlimited, which is a different service directly comparable to Spotify, Apple Music, etc. They do call it Prime Music, which is not an extra charge on top of Prime.

I did that for awhile. HTPCs suck donkey anus at streaming services unless you want to use a wireless keyboard and mouse and a web browser. You’re stuck trying to get kludgy Kodi addons to work. It’s a pain in the ass and just a terrible experience all-around.

That’s why I use ShieldTVs now. Everything non-Apple works, and I run an Airplay receiver just in case I want the Apple stuff. I have root and nobody tells me I’m SOL. But ShieldTV is quite expensive, so I recommend FireTV as the best bang for your buck streamer right now.

I believe it’s both. You can read more on the one article.

I receive my first Prime subscription as a gift. I kept going due to access to music and over the years they expanded the Movies and TV piece. I get digital credit fairly often over the 2 day delivery.

Hey the tech savy group have some nice HTPC set-ups. I used Hauppauge for awhile and Clear Qam for a couple years myself.

It’s easier for me to use two streaming devices, Amazon and Roku than to try and do that again. Roku is the best bet to just be open and take anyone’s channel. They’re devices are great spec wise but wonky. Amazon is a closed garden and no reason to get Apple’s unless you’re in their garden. Smart TVs have limited apps and are slow.

HDhomerun isn’t internet streaming, it’s TV channels off an antenna, or cable if you have the cablecard version. That stuff works great on a HTPC, but Netflix/Hulu/Amazon streaming doesn’t. Even YouTube doesn’t work great inside Kodi.

Amazon is not a closed garden. They allow you to sideload apps, unlike Apple. That’s why you can get Vudu on a FireTV.

Just because they haven’t locked you out from doing something doesn’t mean they’re not a closed garden. It’s a Android based system without the Google Store.They don’t even have basic Google apps.

That’s the definition of a closed garden.

If you can install apps without their permission, it ain’t closed. Amazon and Google are open, iOS is closed. Roku has a chain on the gate but you can slip through with third-party channels, kinda.

Or they could just, you know, make those applications available. You can give them a pass if you want to. I won’t stop you from doing it, but they’re not getting a pass from me.

If Vudu doesn’t want to distribute their app on the FireTV appstore, Amazon cannot force them to do so. That doesn’t make it a closed garden.

Amazon wouldn’t allow Google to distribute the Prime Video AndroidTV app for the longest time, but you could simply sideload it because it’s an open ecosystem. You can’t do that on iOS, and Roku shuts down many private channels when they find them.

Well, you can sideload on iOS actually, if you have a Mac and a developer account, but the apps expire after 7 days unless you pay for the $99/year account. This has led to a surge of third-party services that purchase enterprise Apple developer licenses then digitally sign iOS apps and distribute them through their own appstore apps, primarily to aid piracy. But I digress-- it is effectively closed.