Probably cutting the TV cord soon--advice?

brb searching for The Biggest Gangbang Theory

(ok not really)

As long as it provides the ability to “record minutes after showtime end” that should be fine. I usually do NFL games + 45 minutes just to be safe.

Yeah it can do that.

I had good luck with this specific brand in the past, although not as much in a new city with fewer options. Trial and error was my method for indoor antennas; the reviews never really matched my experiences. (Which have been predominantly a ways away from transmitters.) I wish I had the skilllzzzz to make PS Vue think I lived in Minneapolis instead of North Dakota. Until then, I rely mainly on that antenna and Hulu for broadcast programming.

I plunked down the $4.99 to try Plex DVR and it’s all set up and working nicely, pretty easily. But I have the server running on the same HTPC that I’d like to watch the content on most of the time - is there a way to have it simply play the files locally? Right now it’s automatically transcoding even though I’m playing off the same device it’s recording to.

Well, that went really well. The Good Place recorded beautifully. And going forward and backwards during commercials was much smoother than in the old days with Windows Media Center interface on the 360, so another bonus there.

Looks like NBC is a really good channel for me record with the antenna in this position.

So I setup the recordings for the Super Bowl this Sunday, and the Winter Olympics, where I told it to keep maximum of 3 shows at once. (Each hour of recording is 6.88 GB, so actually I’m actually only capable of recording 20 hours of programs on my media drive anyway, unless I start deleting a lot of Steam games from the drive).

You should be able to set the Plex client (app or PMP) to “direct play” local files.

Hmm those are enabled but I think it’s because Plex doesn’t have an mpeg2 decoder in the client. With NextPVR I needed to configure those manually.

I use a splitter/combiner to combine three indoor antennas. It works well for defeating blind spots in my living room, which are different for different channels. I’m not sure whether it’s really combining signals or whether the strongest antenna for a given channel dominates — I didn’t get any new channels when I set this up, but I no longer had spotty channels.

That is a very cool idea. Never even thought of doing that.

Yeah I never even thought about it for indoor antennas, that’s a pretty cool idea. I’m probably going to set up some antennae for my Mom pretty soon and I don’t want to try to mount one outside so I might use this idea. Thanks for the thought!

I live in a Victorian historic district in SF, which means I’d have to push an application through a review board to mount any roof hardware (taking maybe 6 months) and I’d have to convince the rest of the HOA anyway. So I made this internal solution. A “winged” antenna on the wall behind my TV and a square antenna on top of each speaker, though I usually put the one nearest the window up on the window. I live on the ground floor, and it still works. Prob would be better higher up.

You’re probably not much of a test case then. If some worker up on Sutro Tower spits, you need an umbrella, so I’m guessing your house is absolutely crawling with TV signal.

I would have thought so too, and I bet it would be true for the units above mine if they had antennas instead of cable. But in my place part of the Buena Vista hillside seems to be in the way, and there’s lots of strange reflection going on, even though it’s a wood building. In some weather for some channels (like Me-TV) sweet spots for the antennas appear, and sometimes they’re not where anyone would think — like on the floor in front of the window.

Following-up on this - I found a newer version of Plex Media Player and it works great. Natively plays those MPEG2 TV recordings without transcoding. Nice!

I got the coaxial combiner mentioned above. Some channels get a better signal, but some are now worse? I measured signal strength immediately before and after booking up the combined so it’s not weather conditions or anything.

I could understand no improvement, but any idea how signal could regress? Other than a crappy cable going from the combiner to the tuner, which I’m pretty sure isn’t the case…but I can try a different one later just to be sure.

It makes some sense actually. If you have one antenna with a weak signal and one with a better signal, the average will be in between. At least that’s how I think it should work. Figure out which one is the good one and boost that one with an amplifier. Maybe get a filter or two to focus on the good signal quality from each?

Man, I’m spoiled. I just slapped a digital Channel Master on the side of my house over last weekend for the super bowl and everything comes in perfectly.

arrendek is sort of right. You’ve entered a realm where the engineering is so complex that all you can do at the consumer level is throw a simple solution at it and hope for the best.

Since there’s no Roku channel for Google Play Music, is there another way to play/stream my own music to my Roku device?

Without creating a DLNA server on my LAN?

(I have the Roku streaming stick. Otherwise, I could just plug a USB flash drive into the Roku box. I kick myself now for picking the cheaper device…)

Do you use Plex? I just asked myself this same question this weekend and found a thread saying to set it up as a channel on Plex and use it through there.

Still weird though that Google doesn’t want to bother making a Roku app for Music.

Plex requires a media server on your network, doesn’t it? I don’t like leaving my PC on all the time.