Problem with my router

Ok. I fucked it up. I don’t know what I did but I crashed it. :cry:

I was trying to upgrade the firmware (which I’ve done numerous times) and goofed something up because now it won’t respond.

It’s a Netgear RT314 router. On their site they say to attach a serial cable and connect through hyper-terminal but when I do I get ‘no response from remote system’.

Their instructions are here http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100306.asp

I’ve never used hyper terminal before so I’m afraid I might be doing something wrong from that side. Or, I may have just cooked my fucking router when I was trying to upgrade the firmware. I tried to call customer support but the told me my router was end of life and no longer eligible for phone support and I would have to email tech support. I did, but I’m not holding my breath for them. My only other encounter with their customer support was years ago and I did not come away with a positive impression.

Any one have any idea about Netgear or hyper terminal?

Much appreciated.

Can you go through the process of upgrading the firmware again? If it’s just a bad bios flash, trying again might make a difference. If the new firmware is the problem, can you flash it back to the old firmware?

It doesn’t respond at all. I can’t telnet into it. So unfortunately I can’t get in to give it any instructions…

Well, I fixed the goddamn thing. Netgear’s tech help library is good, if your powers of deduction are good and your patience is limitless.

They have shit scattered all over their site. I had my router lock up and they have instructions to take care of it. But the instructions are not detailed enough and it skips about 6 very important steps, without which, your recover will fail.

I had to look in to ‘how to reset the the password’, then ‘how to rest to default’, then extrapolate the info and then use it as the missing steps in ‘lock up’.

What a pain in the ass.

Now, it works. But I’m thinking of buying a new router.

D-Link 614, baby. Love mine, aside from all the NAT bullshit. But it’s not like you can get a wireless router without it these days.

It can’t be that hard to just disable the NAT if you don’t want it (I assume you get multiple IPs from your ISP?). Isn’t it possible to just plug the internet cable into one of the ordinary ports and tell the router to stop acting like a DHCP server?

It can’t be that hard to just disable the NAT if you don’t want it (I assume you get multiple IPs from your ISP?). Isn’t it possible to just plug the internet cable into one of the ordinary ports and tell the router to stop acting like a DHCP server?[/quote]

I assume. Quite honestly, I haven’t bothered looking into it. I’m far too lazy, and though it’s an inconvinience, I can live without AIM/MSN/Yahoo file transfers.

NAT’s kinda the whole point to a router, if you didn’t want it you could have bought a switch and saved a good bit of money. And most routers will allow you to set up port forwarding pretty easily, mine had built in profiles for a number of common apps. Are you sure your router is completely incompatible with those programs?

Well, they don’t have wireless switches, so…yeah. Kinda stuck with this thing.

I haven’t bothered looking into the port fowarding. When I initially got it, I sat down, googled a bunch of crap trying to find out which ports these programs use for file transfers, then went ahead and established “virtual servers” as D-Link calls them (probably a fancy name for port foward) for those ports.

However, even after that, I have a 50% chance of not getting a file transfer to work. Some days it’ll work, some days it won’t, and it’s not the same people every time. I could send 40 megs of files to someone on Friday and be unable to send them a text document on Saturday.

After that whole lot of wasted time, I gave up and resigned myself to being trapped behind my own firewall. I’m sure if I care either way I’d be able to find out what the problem is and solve it, but the time and energy to do so isn’t in me.

I don’t think you really needed virtual servers. My wired D-Link 704P has a section in the advanced menu called “Special AP” which just lets you enable whatever port you want and NAT will automatically forward stuff as with everything else. Try looking for something like that. Maybe it’ll work, though I’m not familiar with those apps.