Production Line - Cliff Harris takes on car manufacturing

How did we miss this?

http://www.positech.co.uk/productionline/

It’s an assembly line sim about car manufacturing.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2016/09/29/announcing-production-line/

[quote]
For me, the big changes here are that its an isometric game (never done one of those before, but already coded my own engine, seems ok so far), and that I’m planning on really open-development. Its not in alpha yet, let alone beta. Big parts of the game are not finished. Coder art is everywhere. None of the sounds are final. There is no music. Its buggy. There is only one type of car, and half the research-tree stuff isn’t done. No text is final. Its really early. Its not shipping in 2016, and likely not in Q1 or Q2 of 2017.

However…I’d like to get people playing it early, in a direct-with-the-developer prison-architect style early access way. I’ll blog about it more soon, and do videos. I’ll probably bore you to tears with the details. I have come full circle on the idea of early-access and would like to see how it works for me.[/quote]

I’m in :)

Definitely seems inspired by Big Pharma, which is probably a good thing. Hopefully it feels different enough.

My first thought

@cliffski: You mentioned a tech tree type thing. Are you going to have the game start with 1900’s style “coachbuilders” manually piecing together a car?

These days I mentally compare all of these conveyor belt games to Factorio. It takes a lot to top that beast! But I do hope this turns out well.

As a giant Factorio & FortressCraft Evolved fan - “I’ll be in my bunk”

Oh man. And then make it like Railroad Tycoon / Aerobiz style where I’m competing against a handful of AI/multiplayer competing car companies and that would be so good! :D Quarterly reports where it shows big colorful graphs comparing you to your competitors. OH MAN. Wishful thinking? :P

Out in Alpha for $10 through the humble widget. Looks great so far, excited to watch the progress.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2017/01/22/production-line-now-in-alpha-with-pre-orders-omgz/

Wtf no love for this? You had me at “Cliffski” and “car manufacturing”. :D

I’m excited for it, but I’ll wait for 1.0 thanks.

KatherineofSky has a series on the game and she loves it:

And yes her enthusiasm is infectious so I did spend the 11 bucks on the game.

Is the game more than a reskinned Big Pharma?

On one hand I did enjoy Big Pharma so I am interested, but I’m not sure what this offers that replaying Big Pharma wouldn’t.

I have not tried the game yet because I am still busy dying in No Oxygen Included. : )

I only played Big Pharma a bit but my impression from the video series above is that a lot more is going on in Production Line. It reminds me more of Factorio as opposed to Big Pharma (except no alien bug creatures trying to kill you).

It’s definitely not a literal reskin. It’s by a different developer, and using a totally different engine.

Man I hate the indecision. I WANT to play this right now soooo bad, but on the other hand want to wait for the full experience.

In that case play any of the 200+ games in your backlog!

Hey, how does logic enter into the equation? LOL.

Another EA game I picked up recently to dabble in, because I couldn’t resist. The engine is pretty great, tiny and fast. I love where the game looks to be headed, it just needs the inevitable interface polish and content. Hoping for less campaign and more sand box, but with goals.

I promise I’m not her personal promoter, but Katherine of Sky has a Let’s Play of this going for those interested in checking it out vicariously (seriously, she’s the best YT’er though).

I watched her series thanks to this thread, which is what made me purchase the game right away instead of waiting. She has a bright, happy patter minus the overly sweet that is much appreciated.