Profile this

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-12-01-belgium-usat_x.htm

White, female, middle class, european … suicide bomber.

Lets hope it’s not the start of trend.

White, female, middle class, european, married to a radical Muslim. I hate profiling as much as anyone else, but the thread always seems to come back. When a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems.

H.

It’s not the start of a trend, it’s just part of a continuing phenomenon: bad people exploiting the vulnerable to further their cause.

You think that non-muslim/atheist women have never been terrorists or blown something up?

Just off the top of my head: the Bader-Meinhof gang is an example of middle-class european atheist female terrorists that blow things up.

You think that non-muslim/atheist women have never been terrorists or blown something up?

Just off the top of my head: the Bader-Meinhof gang is an example of middle-class european atheist female terrorists that blow things up.[/quote]

OMGHURGLEBURGLE Anecdotal story makes Trend NOT SO!!!

Profiling. Trends. Majorities. Likelihoods. Statistics. Most-oftens.

Again, as distasteful as it may be to say it, Muslims are pretty much the bee’s knees when it comes to blowing shit up. Sorry if what I wrote could be taken as some manifesto on the qualities of atheist women, rather than a simple phrase designed to illustrate the Muslim aspect of this particular terrorist.

Just to be clear, I don’t actually believe that no non-Muslim has never committed an act of terrorism in the entire history of the human race, 'kay?

H.

In my experience with highly religious people, I would say that turning your back on them is like turning your back on a drug when it’s wielding a razor sharp hunting knife. I so don’t trust God not to tell them to kill me.

(Same thing goes for anyone who seems visibily excited about anything other than a new videogame they got.)

It’s a blunt … with a blade!

Schneier is good on this.

http://www.schneier.com/essay-008.html

Anecdotal story? It was just one example, off the top of my head, of atheist female terrorists. There are plenty of others. Plenty of non-Muslim ones too. The IRA had a bunch of high ranking female terrorists.

You said that when “a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems”. This has happened already. A lot. Do we have a problem?

Yeah, the IRA is full of atheists!

Plenty of non-Muslim ones too. The IRA had a bunch of high ranking female terrorists.

Anecdotal story? It was just one example, off the top of my head, of atheist female terrorists. There are plenty of others. Plenty of non-Muslim ones too. The IRA had a bunch of high ranking female terrorists.

You said that when “a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems”. This has happened already. A lot. Do we have a problem?[/quote]

Look, I’m not getting into defending somebody else’s intrepretation. I think you well know what I was getting at, that the original post suggested there was an unusual aspect to the profile, when RTFA revealed that the husband was a radical Muslim, a prime candidate for terrorist action these days.

H.

Forget it, Houngan. It’s Chinatown.

It’s a blunt … with a blade![/quote]

No sense telling him, he’ll find out soon enough.

You said that when “a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems”. This has happened already. A lot. Do we have a problem?[/quote]

Look, I’m not getting into defending somebody else’s intrepretation. I think you well know what I was getting at, that the original post suggested there was an unusual aspect to the profile, when RTFA revealed that the husband was a radical Muslim, a prime candidate for terrorist action these days.

H.[/quote]

Houngan: When a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems.

Tim: This has happened many times already.

Houngan: Well you know what I mean!

H.[/quote]

Houngan: When a White, female, middle class, european, married to a nice athiest blows something up, then we’ve got problems.

Tim: This has happened many times already.

Houngan: Well you know what I mean![/quote]

That’s right. Perhaps it wouldn’t stand up in a scientific paper, but I’m officially done defending every permutation of meaning that might be wrenched out of internet posts. The thread was about her being atypical, I pointed out she was typical. Done.

H.

Well put.

What do you mean, “every permutation of meaning?” That’s the literal meaning of the words you wrote, not some arcane interpretation.

What do you mean, “every permutation of meaning?” That’s the literal meaning of the words you wrote, not some arcane interpretation.[/quote]
In the context of the thread, his point was clear enough. The Hammer Of Allah joined in because one permutation of Houngan’s words, the literal meaning which may have potentially cast a shadow on Muslim profiling, wasn’t so hot.

What do you mean, “every permutation of meaning?” That’s the literal meaning of the words you wrote, not some arcane interpretation.[/quote]

Sorry man, it’s just not happening. I wish there were a handy internet phrase that summed up what is going on, like Godwin, but the fact remains: you know what I meant, and that’s all I’m a gonna talk about. If you want to argue strawmen, talk to Tim, he was the one who built it.

H.