Project Cars 3: the Corkscrew of the Antipodes!

Title Project Cars 3: the Corkscrew of the Antipodes!
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When February 7, 2021

Like most colonies, Australia was built from its coasts inward.  If you go inland from Sydney, you can't get very far without bumping into the Blue Mountains..

Read the full article

Fun fact. Mount Panorama is a normal street with a speed limit of 60km/h and if you drive around it on a normal day, and decide to go a little bit faster down Conrod Straight just for the thrill of it, there is usually a police officer sitting at the bottom of the straight with a speed gun who will give you a ticket for the privilege.

I imagine that’s a stable source of income for Bathurst. And since it’s probably cheaper than renting a lap at Laguna Seca, sounds like a fair deal to me! Any Aussies in the Sydney area want to let me borrow their car for a quick road trip?

-Tom

Even the straight bit of Bathurst can catch you out.

I think Forza 5 was the game in which I played Bathurst a lot. It was definitely my favorite course in the game. It’s so maddening because your performance is so reliant on the players around you because the course is so narrow through most of the run. But Forza 5 was also the game in which your drivatars actually acted like real players, so it made it doubly interesting. It was definitely the course that brought out the best qualities of that game, and is one of the reasons I would rank Forza 5 as my favorite racing game after DiRT Rally 2.0.

Greenmangaming also has this fairly discounted. https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/project-cars-3-pc/

Wow that’s less than what I paid for it a few weeks ago. Snag it!

Yowser. $20.16 is a great price, but I just bought Valheim and the British GT pack is landing for Assetto Corsa Competizione tomorrow, so I might struggle to get this one past the finance board.

We’ll see!

I’ll tell y’all, for the first time, because of PC3…I’m considering shelling out for a wheel…I don’t have room for it so I’d need one of those support frame things…but I’m seriously considering it…

If you’re intrigued by The Mountain then Aussie Supercars is currently rerunning a bunch of classic races, as live, and the current one is the 2014 Bathurst 1000, which might be the best 1000 I’ve seen.

Link.

About 85 laps left at this point.

Thanks so much for linking that! This is so much fun. It’s really cool being able to tell exactly where they are during any given shot. I know those curves!

I don’t why this surprises me, but yeesh, the track and the cars look so gaudy festooned with all those ads. It’s just so…unsightly. A sensory assault, really. Sports, man.

-Tom

This is the longest *modern Bathurst 1000 in history (for time) and I stayed up to watch the whole thing live in 2014. I might not make it to the end today, but if you get a chance then stay with it because it has a fantastic finish.

It’s weirdly mesmerizing. But I can’t decide if I want to keep watching or boot up Project Cars 3 to run laps on Bathurst. Is this what it’s like to be into real-world racing? :)

-Tom

That really is amazing. Especially when they show a ‘cockpit cam’ (I only race in cockpit)…it looks so familiar. That feed has some great camera work.

This is exactly what it’s like.

It’s not unheard of for me to run laps at a track while watching a race at the same track.

The pit crew pulling brake pads out 30 seconds after those braked a car from 200mph to 45mph are more trusting in a pair of gloves than I ever would be.

Those brake pads will go to about 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit when drivers stamp on the brakes at the end of Conrod Straight.

Oh, man, that was awesome. I was glued to the screen for the last 20 laps. I feel like I’m spoiled and other races would be comparatively boring!

So that was 2014? The International Supercars Championship? What cars were those even?

-Tom

why is this video 8 hrs long?

Because it’s a 1,000 km race. It usually takes about six hours to run, but the 2014 event featured quite a lot of crashes and one time where they had to stop the race for a bit to repair the track surface.

Oh, and that moment a kangaroo bounced onto the track.

The race has a great finish, so if you jumped to about 6 hours 47 minutes you can watch the last 30 laps… Endurance racing is better if you watched the whole thing simmer, but not everyone is into it enough to watch eight hours of racing.

It’s essentially a 200 mile per hour version of Australia’s greatest political divide - “who’s better, Ford or GM?” (Holden)

Volvo, Nissan and Mercedes join in but no one cares about them.

They’re touring cars - originally they were closer to road cars, but over time for reasons of safety and performance they’ve moved to a standardised frame or “cage” and then a racing version of a street car is built around the cage.

Then because it’s Australia and New Zealand and people down there are all crazy they put a 600 horsepower V8 engine in the front and use tyres that can’t really deal with that much power and race them over a mountain for hours.

2014 was just a great year - this was the end to the first race of the season. (this video is nine minutes, not eight hours)

*Video features a round of applause for someone saying “fuck.”