Project Warlock - Classic FPS Hexenstein

World 3 and it’s getting a bit tedious to have to run the 4-map gauntlet at the end of each world. I don’t find that low health situations (I was pretty desperate over the final two maps, not sure where it all went wrong) - I had my first real trouble since the very beginning in the world 3 final stages - combined with the lack of save points makes for a good gameplay tension. Yes, I am on easy so I could have just restarted the level but I don’t want to do that. Especially given that I find the levels are increasingly harder to navigate. The last few on world 3 have been extremely samey (losing some of the more interesting variation from previous levels on this world and other worlds).

The automap is garbage. It doesn’t show you anything but room outline and even that isn’t always a good guide (or it’s a bug, but several times I have looked up to see myself in the dark spots - and this wasn’t when finding a secret mind). So occasionally I have to wander looking for that [color] door, which doesn’t show up on the map. Worse, there’s no larger map and the map is stuck in the top left of the screen and can’t be changed. I am just going to brazenly assume the devs are left-eye dominant or something but this is actually causing me physical discomfort.

Also, the game is really fucking dark (in many levels, not all). There’s a light spell that doesn’t use mana but you cannot use it and shoot at the same time. I’ve played with available graphics settings and all I’ve managed to do is make it “just shy of hurting my eyes” at typical brightness but then secrets and the light spell get too bright.

It’s still fun, but I feel eye strain (which is unusual for me) having to run through 3 and 4 level gauntlets.