Project xCloud - Microsoft wants you to not own any games

Image is not displaying for me. Is it Pikachu?

Couldve been, lol.

Jeff Bridges as The Dude ecstatic face.jpg

I would definitely prefer a Switch to an Xbox.

Check it out folks, hell has frozen over -

For now this just looks like Sony using Azure for their online services. Interesting that they didn’t go with someone like Amazon.

More interesting info about the deal - looks like it was a Microsoft and Sony deal, not necessarily made with input from Xbox or Playstation teams, paradoxical as that may sound.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-19/sony-s-deal-with-microsoft-blindsided-its-own-playstation-team

Probably Amazon gives zero shits about gaming in general, and might in theory make some strategic decision that blind-sights Sony at some time in the future*. Though I can’t say exactly how big (bigger?) a factor that might be.

(* Though Microsoft could still potentially do something that blind-sights Sony, regardless of any deal. In fact, that is kind of Microsoft’s MO in the past… So confusing!)

Amazon owns Twitch, has their own free game engine, and owns several studios under Amazon Game Studios.

And what have they produced with all that?

A whole lot of content and a completely new way to market games via Twitch.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I work at Twitch. 😀

I’d like to hear more about this. What kind of content? How much of it is games?

Mobile gaming isn’t gaming.

(kidding)

You can sign up for the beta here:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-streaming/project-xcloud

Probably worth mentioning that the initial test is android devices only.

fwiw

Having not read the article, I take issue with the presupposition that I’d like a tiny Xbox on my phone.

I saw the xCloud app on my Xbox One dashboard out of the blue this weekend. So I followed the instructions, downloaded the app on my phone while in the app. But then it told me I had to pair my bluetooth controller to the phone. And they recommended using the controller that I was currently using to navigate the Xbox One app.

How is that supposed to work? Anyone know? I click on the bluetooth thingie in the streaming app on android, and it listed one device but I couldn’t choose that device. It’s all very confusing. Especially the fact that if my controller is paired to my phone, what happens to the Xbox One? How will I control that? Maybe it’s time to bring out my old Xbox One controller for that, the one that doesn’t work well.

I got it working last night. Press the sync button on the controller, then it shows up as a bluetooth device on the app that you can pair with.

I’m not sure why this use-case is useful to anyone though. Just like I could stream to my PC, now I can stream to my phone, and play with a controller. So my phone is going to be in front of me, and I’m going to be holding a controller in front of that. I just can’t picture it. I guess if I buy one of those little clip things that clips together your phone and your controller, then I could play games in bed or on the john. Not sure why that’s an attractive option though.

I think Microsoft wants a little of this action. People love being able to play full console games in lots of places.

https://media.gamestop.com/i/gamestop/11095775_ALT01/Nintendo-Switch-Lite-Turquoise?$pdp$