Project Zomboid

Hope you’re not fed up with zombies quite yet because Project Zomboid is shaping up quite nicely by the looks of it. Check out the new website:

http://www.projectzomboid.com/blog/

This may be the zombie game I’ve been waiting for.

The graphics are very X-com. I didn’t see anywhere on the site if its supposed to be TB or real time, any idea?

These are exactly the same questions I had.

Looking at the demo videos, I would say that it is definitely real time.

This is being made by some super friendly and absolutely brilliant indie devs.

The core duo have got a track record in commercial games and previously worked with Zombie Cow on their educational game Privates (and also a little bit on the Ben & Dan adventure games). They recently decided to finally go for broke and committed to making this, their dream project, and they’ve gone all out to do so. They’ve brought in a writer from Channel 4’s Skins and some of their other talented friends as well and have been drumming up development funds via donations.

The game’s been inspired a bit by Minecraft and they plan to have an alpha version out sometime this month followed by regular free updates for those who’ve donated. The long term plans sound pretty exciting too, with a lengthy background storyline (power running out after a few ingame months, other survivors; friendly and not so) and extensive crafting to allow you to build a proper survival fortress.

Definitely worth donating/pre-ordering if you have any interest and a few spare bob lying about.

Dan, thanks for the insight. I’ve been following “lemmy” on twitter and he does indeed seem like a decent chap.

Found this comment from Nick (one of the devs) on a youtube video:

We aim to have the first playable demo out by the end of the month. (EEEP!! LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!)

The only bummer for me is their hardcore focus on “no matter what happens, you will die at the end.” That is fine and all, and perfectly in keeping with the setting, and I understand how it helps them with endgame issues. But realistically it makes the concept just too depressing for me. I suppose I could always quit while I was ahead, but having no prospect whatsoever of a helicopter on day 3 just kind of takes the wind out of my sails a bit.

Yeah it’s a bit depressing but that’s very true to the key source material. Plus if the game is designed so that noone could realistically survive, imagine the achievement if somehow against all the odds you do :)

I think they should have a survival time leaderboard recording the longest lived players.

There is a ‘pre-alpha tech test’ for this out right now if you want to go ahead and buy in already for £5/$8. Still early days in terms of gameplay features, but the music and atmosphere is pretty amazing already. Very grim tone, more in tune with that Dead Island trailer than Dead Island looks to be:

News post about it with the link to play it in your browser once you have bought a login is here:

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/05/alpha-tech-demo-released/

Buying is accessed in the top right hand corner and is a little confusing right as you have to buy one of three silly little downloadable games to get round some problems the devs have experienced with Google Checkout and buying pre-orders :)

If you prefer to try before you buy there should be a public demo coming along in the next few weeks as well, once some of the bugs are cleared up from this public test.

This is a browser game?

yup. Here’s my “test drive” video if you want to see it in action:

Honestly? This is the most important element. If people are accessible and friendly, I’m way more likely to buy their game.

That said, I can’t imagine paying for a browser based game. If it’s simple, it needs to be something I can play on the subway where I have no internet. If it’s not, no dice.

Thx for the video! :)

Are you going to make another video GuildBoss? Keep us updated!

It’ll take a lot to overcome my utter boredom with the subject matter…at this point, any zombie-themed game is an instant skip for me unless it’s something really astounding.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this game will be it. The gameplay style is promising, but I get the impression that Dead State is going to do it better, having turn-based combat and all.

There’s something strangely off-putting about a game being browser based. No rational reason.

Yes, i feel the same way. It will take a good price point for me to see myself paying for a browser game.

The video did look good though.

HOWEVER, i don’t like the part about it saying you die at the end (assuming it is true). Likely die i can see, but an rpg with a known and unchangeable ending isn’t a good rpg. Can you even call it a “Horror survival RPG” if you can’t survive?

Also worried that the combat controls look like they would be awkward in a high paced situation.

Part 2. Bobby Collins gets a head-full of hammer! And then it’s off to explore the town in search of supplies…

$8? That’s less than a large pizza.