Project Zomboid

You want the IWBUMS version of the beta…

Got it!

Picked this up after watching part of a streamer’s recorded session on youtube yesterday, and wow is it difficult, at least for this noob.

I noticed several things in the guy’s game that I don’t seem to have, despite running what I think is the same version. He had a settings option for changing menu font size, but I don’t see that specifically in the fonts settings (only for other things like object descriptions). He also seemed to have a map of the game world open that he could drag around between windows. He hadn’t started the game session yet, so I suppose the map could have been an external app. Also, in the screen where you choose Playstyle, he had styles I don’t see in my game: Apocalypse, Survivor, Builder (I only have Survivor). He also had several Sandbox options I don’t see. And lastly, in the character doll screen, there were a bunch of cosmetics I don’t see.

I’m pretty sure he was running the same version I have (I’m running 40.43), but I can’t be certain because his thumbnail was overlapping with the area on the screen where version is listed. But his stream was just a month or so ago, so I suppose they might have just streamlined the Playstyle choices and character doll options since then. I don’t think he was running mods, because he said as much, but I suppose he might have just forgotten that he had some installed. So that’s confusing.

Speaking of mods, anyone know of any good QOL mods, both for extreme noobs myself, but also for things like increasing menu font size, or that might generate that external map feature I mentioned? How about for controlling more movement functions with just the mouse?

Edit: Found the map he was using: https://map.projectzomboid.com

Edit2: Ah, according to his subreddit, he’s running build 41 beta. I’ll turn that on and see if it adds the stuff I wasn’t seeing in my game.

Holy crap this game is still in development? I remember playing it years ago.

Apparently, heh. I wasn’t following it, but yeah, apparently it’s been in development for a pretty long time, as these things go.

I haven’t found the answers to any of the above, aside from a QOL mod for organizing literature that I installed just for the hell of it. But I did answer a question I had but didn’t ask above. There is no feature for preserving saves, so for people like me who would like things to be slightly less punishing while you learn the ropes, you can simply exit to the menu and archive the Saves directory from time to time.

I even went as far as to create a little batch script for it:

set CUR_MM=%date:~4,2%
set CUR_DD=%date:~7,2%
set CUR_HH=%time:~0,2%
if %CUR_HH% lss 10 (set CUR_HH=0%time:~1,1%)

set CUR_NN=%time:~3,2%
set CUR_SS=%time:~6,2%
set CUR_MS=%time:~9,2%

set SUBFILENAME=%CUR_YYYY%%CUR_MM%%CUR_DD%-%CUR_HH%%CUR_NN%%CUR_SS%

7za a -t7z Zomboid-Saves-%SUBFILENAME%.7z C:\Users\UserName\Zomboid\Saves

Oh, it’s calling itself an RPG?

For some reason all this time I thought it was entirely an action/simulation game.

It’s always had stats, skill level ups, and loot! :)

I wonder if they’ve fixed controller support, and made the game useable at resolutions above 1080p yet? :P

edit: that’s a no, and a no. :)

Looks like a real-time Dead State.

Uhhh really? Disappointing.

Unfortunately, yeah… nothing seems to have changed from the last time I played in those departments.

At 4K I could get some text just readable by increasing font sizes to max, but the button prompts remain way too tiny to see. The controller could be ok, but it’s flaky and randomly stops working, and the zoom is still near impossible to use effectively, especially given that it’s generally way too far zoomed out/tiny for 4K.

And after checking it out, I couldn’t get it to go back to 1080p… uninstalled again. :P

If you haven’t been watching, our very own @Jason_McMaster has been playing on his Twitch.

If you just stay in early access long enough, some bigtime streamer is bound to play and substantially raise your profile…

PZ is in the same boat as Dwarf Fortress and such. The relatively low-fi graphics allow for a very detailed simulation and for adding a ton of little details. This kind of game can indeed have a very long life, and it’s not too surprising that after years of details building up, it becomes popular again.

I just tried this game out for the first time and only lasted a couple of minutes for each life.

Every time I stepped out of the house, I’d get spotted by a “neighbor” even while trying to sneak around, and eventually the entire neighborhood would be after me. Maybe I need to learn to beat down the singles instead of running and attracting friends.

I should probably watch a couple of videos to see how people start out.

I just left a huge negative review on Steam for the exact same reason - the second you leave your house, you’re instantly spotted, and with the way the game works, it’s all downhill from there.

PZ suffers from the usual disease that all perma-early access games share: they get tuned for the hard-core audience that’s vocally stuck around over the years. (See also: 7 days to die)

Believe it or not, there was a time in the game’s history when you could actually explore around a bit, and the zombies weren’t terminator. Much more enjoyable then.

That sounds bad. Who the hell wants player beacon hunter seeker zombies?

Might take a look at the Sandbox options. You can dial down various things (such as the number of zombies) quite a bit.

Watching the first day guide video below really helped me a lot. After that I was able to separate out zombies and kill them one or two at a time. Once I found an axe (and a trusty cowboy hat, yeehaw), I was easily able to smack down everything.

The next real danger was nearly cutting myself to death from climbing through windows, until I did a web search and learned there was an option to clear out the broken glass…

Nine days alive, then my axe broke and I had no spare weapon on hand. Whoops. New lesson learned.

So far the game is okay for me. The sneaking around and foraging for better equipment part is enjoyable, but it was really tedious to be constantly hungry and having to cook and eat over and over. Maybe there’s a setting for that? I’ve never been a fan of hunger in games.

I’ll second Barstein, start a new sandbox game and turn everything down and give yourself some more trait points, and change the way how much xp you get. it will be a bit easier but it is still very easy to get yourself killed. Also save your presets that way you can get back into the game quicker. There is no shame in this and once you get a bit more comfortable you can readjust the sandbox again if you wish.