Protests shut Naboo server down in SWG

Yes, but they only play on the PvP server now. Most of what they did was just screwing people that didn’t know not to click the “accept” button.

I don’t think I play quite enough or stay current to qualify as a guru anymore. I sure don’t know any inside dirt. My server wasn’t effected by this shutdown (and there isn’t a Naboo server for the record) nor was anyone I know touched in any way by the credit duping scandal. My casual, non-guruish, take on this is that it’s mostly a tempest in a teapot. Most of the folks here discussing it or even complaining about it elsewhere don’t even seem to be SWG players. Just folks piling onto an easy target. Anybody that accepts huge amounts of credits for nothing is probably in contention for a Darwin Award as it is.

The ants are revolting.

Haven’t you ever given 500K nearly worthless, inflated credits to a random noob as a little leg up? I thought it was really common.

Do you have the option of refusing money from a /tip? You didn’t in the beta.

That’s a good point. But we still haven’t seen any evidence that that had really happened as far as I know. I tend to be skeptical myself. It just tends to seem the the people who scream loudest in protest are usually the most culpable in online communities. And no, I don’t have any proof of that either. Hence I absolve myself from this discussion. Say my name three times, though, and I might be back.

Yes, but they only play on the PvP server now. Most of what they did was just screwing people that didn’t know not to click the “accept” button.[/quote]

It would appear that even that got stale for them.

http://guilds.camelotherald.com/guilds/guild.php?s=Mordred&g=1262

-Walt

Haven’t you ever given 500K nearly worthless, inflated credits to a random noob as a little leg up? I thought it was really common.[/quote]

Nope. Took me several months to accumulate that many credits for myself. That said, I tend to like playing by the systems as they seem to be intended rather than exploiting shortcuts or indulging in them. Naive I know and, here you’re right, it’s certainly the norm for most MMORPG players from what I can tell. SWG was designed with interplayer cooperation and even twinking in mind. However there’s a difference between just taking huge gobs of money from strangers, which just seems to fly in the face of reason, and joining up with a PA or regular group that will help you out over time. Or there should be.

Bet there is now.

Some of the newest stories on their domain were how they were infilitrating other guilds and then robbing them blind, so may not be indicitive. Their forums were still relatively acitve last week when the griefing thread got brought up.

FYI,

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=245

Scroll down to the last post.

Some of these people admitted directly they were trying to destroy the SWG play experience.

But it’s all in good fun because griefing and destroying the fun of others is okay so long as you are having lats of fun doing it. Right?

I honestly can’t understand that mentality.

Does this mean tipping is gone?

I thought, with tips, it wasn’t a matter of accepting. BAM - you got money. “What, where, huh?”

Does this mean tipping is gone?[/quote]

I think they merely fixed the exploit, and did not eliminate tipping.

It’s interesting that they claim only 15% of the people were innocent. It’s nice to see the other side of the story from an official source.

Does this mean tipping is gone?[/quote]

I think they merely fixed the exploit, and did not eliminate tipping.

It’s interesting that they claim only 15% of the people were innocent. It’s nice to see the other side of the story from an official source.[/quote]the way i read that, it said that 15% of the people HAD NOT TOUCHED ILLICIT CREDITS, not that 85% were dupers.

meaning, they were freezing the flow of the money, not that everyone and their mom is personally duping.

either way, this is such nightmarish PR i can’t conceive of ever reactivating my account. of course, i only played SWG for two days anyway. it was soulless. :shock:

I suspect that anyone who ended up with duped credits via tips–and wasn’t in some scam where Player X “tips” Player Y 500,000 credits wink wink–is one of the folks who had their appeals rule don favorably.

It seems from the link Raph posted that the reality may be well short of the dire meltdown heretofore portrayed (though I’m still hazy on the teleportation of people into space and the SOE response to that event or alleged event). From that link, it seems that Sony did pretty much what it should have done. Lock down, then sort it out. No one loses anything but a bit of play time, the cash value of which is refunded and the psychic value of which is hopefully compensated for via the apology and explanation (and the knowledge that the game experience should be better now).

What’s missing is the dynamics of how all of this went down, how or whether SOE personnel misbehaved or behaved in ways that were unjustified or unfair. And what’s also missing are the stories of the innocents who were caught up in the fallout–stories, not rants and vituperative screeds. Be interesting to see all sides of this dispassionately (hah!).

• the confiscation of approximately 550,000,000,000 credits that were undermining the legitimate earnings of adventurers, crafters, and merchants throughout SWG

That’s a lot of fucking credits. I’m more inclined to be sympathetic to SOE after reading that :)

Golly Gee Raph, why can’t people just play nice?

No vendor owners were suspended for purchases made from their vendor with duped credits, only people that had money directly transferred to them were affected.

Remember kiddies, launder your dirty money!

Well 4 months until it reached the boards is a lot of time to dupe. (source: Intarweb message board)

I’m guessing it goes a little like this:

“This game sucks. It’s full of bugs and loopholes, but instead of fixing the existing problems they spend all their time making some flight sim add-on. The devs must be smoking crack. Let’s show them just how fucked up their game is!”

Not that I condone such behavior, but some certain overly naive developers Raph really need to learn not to leave their wallet laying around where any old crack whore can snatch it.

I’m guessing it goes a little like this:

“This game sucks. It’s full of bugs and loopholes, but instead of fixing the existing problems they spend all their time making some flight sim add-on. The devs must be smoking crack. Let’s show them just how fucked up their game is!”

Not that I condone such behavior, but some certain overly naive developers Raph really need to learn not to leave their wallet laying around where any old crack whore can snatch it.[/quote]
Except that while you think the game sucks and apparently some of those people playing do, there are also others who DO like to play and would rather not have their game experience ruined.