Protips wanted for memory upgrading

Hey kids, I just bought an identical Corsair 1gig RAM stick to match the one my girlfriend bought me for Xmas to upgrade my gaming rig (which currently has 2x512 sticks in it, with 3 total slots) to 2 gigs. Now, my old rig, which is for work and farting around in the internet, is a P4 2.6GHz running only 512. I wanna take the two 512s from my gaming rig and put them into my work rig as well, so everything matches same-same and I end up with twice as much RAM in both machines.

Anything I need to know/do/watch out for?

1. Are both machines using DDR / DDR2? They are not compatible. I believe P4’s use DDR2. AMD’s use DDR. If unsure, use crucial.com configurator to doublecheck what’s compatible.

Read off the speeds from the bios before you pull em out. Ground yourself before touching the mem sticks, unplug it :) (there is always current passing through slots if it’s plugged in. Not sure about RAM slots but better to be sure) Transplant to P4. Run at the lowest ram speed out of the sticks. Download memtest86, burn a bootable cd. Run it overnight. Coolness!

For the game rig: I am confused, it seems you are going to put two 1GB sticks into it? You say identical, so no problem. Do same, run memtest to make sure its superstable and be happy. Ram instability is the worst. After a while you can even get file system corruption and then you everything goes haywire.

It’s my experience not to use cheap ram or cheap motherboards. I’m not saying get super corsair 2.0 latency or whatever. Whatever value line of a major brand is good (corsair, crucial, kingston, etc).

What kind of a girlfriend only buys her man one stick of RAM? rollseyes

Seriously though you shouldn’t run into any problems, just drop the sticks in and boot up. If you start getting wierd shit like BSODs and lockups then you’ll have to pull out a stick and see which one is messed up and return it.

My gaming rig is an AMD and my work rig is a P-4 and according to everest, they are both DDR. Or course, the two 1gig sticks I have are DDR2, so beats me.

Read off the speeds from the bios before you pull em out. Ground yourself before touching the mem sticks, unplug it :) (there is always current passing through slots if it’s plugged in. Not sure about RAM slots but better to be sure) Transplant to P4. Run at the lowest ram speed out of the sticks. Download memtest86, burn a bootable cd. Run it overnight. Coolness!

On it.

EDIT: All 3 of my installed sticks have the same timings (2.5-3-3-7) @ 166MHz. Does that mean I can safely move the 2 512s from my gaming rig to my work rig?

For the game rig: I am confused, it seems you are going to put two 1GB sticks into it? You say identical, so no problem. Do same, run memtest to make sure its superstable and be happy. Ram instability is the worst. After a while you can even get file system corruption and then you everything goes haywire.

Yeah. See, I have 3 slots total for memory, and right now it has 2 512s. I want to eventually get to 3 gigs, so I got 2 identical 1gig sticks. The work rig currently has 1 512 of what the hell ever in it, and I assume it has room for at least 2. So, I figgered since the two 512s in the gaming rig are matched, I can move them into the 2 slots on the work rig (pulling the one in the work rig out first), so it has 1gig total memory. However, I guess I don’t understand memory as well as I thought. I wasn’t aware of AMD/P-4 issues, but like DUH on me.

It’s my experience not to use cheap ram or cheap motherboards. I’m not saying get super corsair 2.0 latency or whatever. Whatever value line of a major brand is good (corsair, crucial, kingston, etc).

Yeah. Like I said, the new sticks are exactly the same, both Corsair Value sticks about 100 bucks each.

I’ll do all the homework you suggested and get back to you on it. Thanks.

If both machines are using DDR, you should be fine swapping the two 512s from your gaming rig to your older work rig. The easiest way to make sure is to line up the existing memory stick from the work rig to one of the 512 modules from the gaming rig, and check that the little cut-in slot on the side that plugs into the motherboard is in the same place on each. From what I understand, this slot is in a different place on DDR2 modules, to make sure people have to try real hard to screw up their machines by installing incompatible memory.

If your two new 1 GB modules are DDR2, I don’t think they will fit in either rig, unless you have some funky motherboard that has separate slots to allow for both types of memory. If you’ve removed the Xmas module from its packaging, line it up against one of the existing 512 gaming memory sticks. The slot should be in a different place if the 1 GB is DDR2. You’ll probably need to return the 1GB memory for DDR memory sticks.

Fair warning; I’m basing this all of stuff I found on the Intarweb; I have no personal experience with DDR2. Personally, I’ve only bothered with memtest86 after swapping memory sticks if the system starts giving me trouble. Wisefool is probably being more thorough, however. I completely agree with him that a Budget/Value line from a major memory manufacturer is a good way to go.

Thanks, Sidd and wise. Yeah, looks like these fancy new sticks are useless to me. I’m going to go back to Fry’s tomorrow and trade out for a compatible 1gig DDR stick, and then wait til payday for the second AND MAYBE THIRD BECAUSE I AM SADDENED BY THIS NONSENSE.