PS games played on PS2 and good PS2 RPGs

I bought a used copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles (FFII & Chrono Trigger) yesterday and they won’t recognize my PS2 memory cards.

My friend is going to let me borrow his PS memory card, but I’m not even sure if it will fit into the PS2 slot. Anyone got any answers?

Actually, the reason I bought FF Chronicles is because I hated FFX so much. I hated the repitive combat, the sphere grid, the walking short distances to see another loading screen, the retarded dialogue and basically all the characters.

I think Chrono Trigger is still the best console RPG ever.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking Xenosaga, but truthfully, I don’t really care for cinematics, and I hear it’s packed with them.

I want something with a really good combat system, and something easy on the cinematics. If fact, I’d rather have the text-type dialogue then long, stupid speeches. Thanks.

Yes, it will fit, and yes a PS1 card is required for PS1 games. It seems like they could have made it work with a PS2 card, but I guess then you couldn’t use that save data on a real PS1. At least, that’s the best reason I can think of to do it that way.

Yes, Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever. And Chrono Cross is number two. You should go pick that up.

Also, I’m pretty sure the PS1 memory card will fit in a PS2.

Yes, you have to use a PS1 memory card for PS1 games. The socket is the same for both PS1 and PS2 cards.

Packed is an understatement. The longest clocks in at a little under half an hour.

I might suggest some other ps1 RPGs. FF9, DW7, FF: Origins (FF1 & FF2). Plenty of old school goodness there.

Dark Cloud 2 is an action RPG that has some annoying cut scenes, but they are somewhat few and far between. Nice combat system, with everything but the kitchen sink in terms of things to do.

I might try the .hack series. Interesting action rpg that is set in an MMORPG of the future. Mainly a dungeon hack though, and rather action like.

I can’t recommend Chrono Cross as readily as nKoan did, since Cross is a bit depressing compared to Trigger (virtually none of the characters from Chrono Trigger do well in Cross), and it has an enormous cast of largely worthless characters.

On PS2, a friend of mine raves about Shadow Hearts every chance she gets. Suikoden III isn’t much when compared to II, but it’s still a good time. Wild ARMs 3 is okay, and, of course, there’s La Pucelle and Disgaea, which should be played in that order.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a PS1 RPG that I would consider a must-play. It has a deep story and gameplay mechanics, and in general feels a lot darker than other FF titles.

Sounds like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter would be right up your alley. It’s light on cutscenes, and the battle system is probably the deepest you’ll find in a console RPG. It’s one of my fave PS2 RPGs and you should be able to find it pretty cheap these days.

The only caveat is that it’s quite hardcore – no inns to heal at, permanent saves are few and far between (though you can do a temp save at any time, but it’s gone after you load), and difficult battles right from the word “Go”. But, if you’re up for a challenge, it’s a great experience.

FFT is a truly awesome game. The only nuisance for me was the plot. For the first 2/3 of the game I simply loved it. It was a truly fascinating fascinating politcal intrigue plot. Then it abruptly abandons the political plot in favor of a trite Final Fantasy plot towards the end.

What did you think was trite about it? The story was about grabs for power. Larg’s and Goltana’s armies fighting so that their lord could gain power. Individuals like Algus looking out for themselves and their way of life. Delita’s treacherous plotting to obtain power. This theme continues all the way to the end as you see commoners and nobles alike turn to Lucavi in hopes of finding more power for themselves. I got a huge kick out of the church preaching about their saints, while those ‘saints’ were really demons, even after the final battle of the game. I certainly didn’t think the epilogue scene with Delita and Ovelia was trite.

edit sorry about the thread hijack :P

FFT is a truly awesome game. The only nuisance for me was the plot. For the first 2/3 of the game I simply loved it. It was a truly fascinating fascinating politcal intrigue plot. Then it abruptly abandons the political plot in favor of a trite Final Fantasy plot towards the end.[/quote]Good lord, you could understand FFT’s plot?

Dragon Quarter is the best console RPG of all time. Good Lord, every single thing about it is perfect. Best game of last year, hands down.

[size=1]I have to finish it still though :(.[/size]

Yes.

It was fairly clear, though rich in unexpected twists and turns like any good political intrigue. I followed it, I just didn’t like the ending where it stopped being about politics and started being about killing the evil demon from another dimension before it could take over the world.

Just beat FFT myself and it was a great game. Minus the engrish the story was fantastic, at least as compared to any other game. I love the ending after the credits rolled. Good stuff. Loved the music too.

And screw playing psx games on the ps2. What you want is a psx emulator on a fast pc. You can turn the frame limiter on and off while you play as a sort of fastforward. Or just play the entire game with it off, it’s great.

After awhile, I started to HATE FFTA, so I’m not that interested in FFT, as much of a sin it is.

Dragon Master sounds like a good choice.

It’s odd when when a PC clone of console RPGs is more original and fun then most of console RPGs could ever be.

I really really really tried hard to play BOF: DQ. It crushed me like a bug, and jumped up and down on my broken soul.

After replaying the FIRST FREAKING DUNGEON FIVE FREAKING TIMES and still not being able to complete it, I decided life was too short. :)

I definitely agree with a lot of other recommendations here… FF7-9 are all worthwhile, as is FFT. Vandal Hearts, Vagrant Story, & Valkyrie Profile are also good. You can get the Arc the Lad Collection which is like a billionty hours of gameplay.

PS1 memory cards work fine in the PS2, BTW. You can transfer PS1 saves to the PS2 cards for archival purposes, but they can’t be read directly off the PS2 cards, alas.

Oh, and if you really want to play Chrono Trigger, the thing to do is buy a SNES and a $80 copy of the original CT off of Ebay. The loading times in the PS1 version kill it, IMO.

I just finished FFT a little while ago myself - yesterday actually. Please don’t let FFTA turn you off to FFT. FFT is my favorite RPG ever while I think FFTA sucks.

Yes.

It was fairly clear, though rich in unexpected twists and turns like any good political intrigue. I followed it, I just didn’t like the ending where it stopped being about politics and started being about killing the evil demon from another dimension before it could take over the world.[/quote] I loved the game, but damn, I couldn’t understand a single thing that was going on. The story twisted and turned more than a soap opera’s series finale.

I was terribly excited when FFTA came out but I couldn’t stand more than two hours of it. FFT is a much, much better game than FFTA, don’t pass it up because you hate the gba “version”.

Damn FFT has me inappropriately quoting words now.

Suikoden III was a lot of fun… but it made me realize just how much I need VO in games now.