PS2 broadband adapter

So I’m likely to be getting one, but I’m not sure what games I should have to reap its benefits. I already have THUG and Amplitude, and I dislike SOCOM, and I’m not interested in anything requiring monthly fees. Or FPS’s. Anything else worthwhile?

Need for Speed Underground, SSX3, SOCOM II (which is tactical action, not quite FPS), Tiger Woods, Madden, ESPN NBA, and NFL Gameday are good choices.

The EA Sports Nation PS2 stuff is fairly vanilla compared to Xbox Live offerings, but I’ve still had fun w Tiger and Madden.

Midnight Club 2 and SSX3 in addition to the ones mentioned above

Does the EA stuff work cross platform by any chance? If I had an XBox or Gamecube with broadband access and wanted to play someone in Madden or Tiger Woods who had a PS2, could I?

EA is boycotting the Xbox Live service. You can’t get online with an Xbox version if the publisher is EA.

I hadn’t realized the you couldn’t access the ethernet port without using Live hooks. I knew EA wasn’t doing Live, but I didn’t see any reason why they couldn’t send and receive data through the ethernet port.

To answer my own question, though, the EA Sports Nation is a PS2 only thing.

Yep. EA was demanding something like 80% of all profits from Xbox Live, to allow their games to be played on it.

Xbox has it’s own meta-game sports service called XSN sports that is analgous to Sports Nation. XSN only works for game published by MS. It will be interesting to see what Visual Concepts/Sega/ESPN comes up with next year with EA on the right and MS on the left.

I have SSX3 for xbox, what online stuff does the PS2 version include?

I hated the first SOCOM, but SOCOM 2 is a massive improvement. If you have a headset, it’s well-worth checking out. The first time you hide in foliage and watch an enemy player pass not two feet from you without seeing you, you’ll be hooked.

The whole point of Live is that it’s a unified Internet multiplayer service. Microsoft doesn’t let you release an Xbox game with Internet multiplayer unless it’s using Live, period. System link play (their term for LAN play) is different, though.

Right. I know all this.

I just remembered that GameSpy had a way to IP-tunnel the LAN play for Halo like a week after it came out to enable non-Live internet play of it, I figured that there was no reason that EA couldn’t do the same thing for their EA Sports stuff on the XBox.

Because MS would probably yank their license.

They should just let GameSpy or whoever “figure it out” for them, then. :)

I can tell you with a fair degree of confidence that this is patently untrue. It is true, however, that we’re not interested in handing our customers to Microsoft and saying “here, make some money off of them and keep it all yourself, we don’t want any of it.” So, yeah, we’d want a portion of any revenue generated from our products, but 80% is an absurdly high figure.

I can tell you with a fair degree of confidence that this is patently untrue. It is true, however, that we’re not interested in handing our customers to Microsoft and saying “here, make some money off of them and keep it all yourself, we don’t want any of it.” So, yeah, we’d want a portion of any revenue generated from our products, but 80% is an absurdly high figure.[/quote]

It only seems fair to me. Added to which, I don’t understand the popularity of XBox Live at all.

Except that it’s the best online service in the history of game playing online services? No, that couldn’t possibly be it.

Yeah, the best online game playing service that you have to pay for.

… and yet as a PS2 owner who’s had the network adaptor since it came out I’d be willing to pay for XBox live level service on my PS2. :cry:

Sure, we don’t have to pay for our service in money, but we’re certainly paying for it in lack of features.