PS2 is where it's at for excellent Platforming

Yep. Keep those damn jumping games on the PS2 and I’ll be happy.

…Denny, still pissed about Xen

I wasn’t very impressed with Ratchet and Clank.

I don’t generally enjoy the genre, true, but I loved Mario 64-- it’s probably in my top 10 games of all time-- and R&C doesn’t even hold a candle to that game. IMO.

-wumpus

I’ve been playing through Ratchet and Clank myself and it’s not grabbing me like it did others on this board. It’s very by the numbers and the guns really don’t make a big difference to me other than to keep the game from being played with the kids.

I also dislike the loping character movement. That’s my biggest problem with both Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper is the goofy loping character movement. It makes the control seem too loose.

They’re both very good games, but like wumpus says, they’re no Super Mario 64. Similarly, the ultra tight control in both Star Fox Adventures and Super Mario Sunshine spoiled me.

Now Klonoa 2 and Maximo…they’re dead-on platforming excellence.

–Dave

I hope you don’t think Starfox Adventures was a good game.

Yes, I think it’s a good game. It’s not a “great” game, but it’s very good.

Why do you hope I think differently?

You might also want to know that I’m not alone in thinking Star Fox Adventures is a good game.

–Dave

If you’re going to use GameRankings, you should know that you’re quite alone in thinking it’s better than Ratchet and Clank.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22245.asp

Could you be a little more consistent when shilling for Nintendo?

Can we stop this, please? what the hell is everyone’s problem with Dave Long and Nintendo. wumpus started talking about mario 64 being better, and wumpus originally started using gamerankings, so don’t knock dave for that. additionally, saying star fox is a good game doesn’t imply that its better than ratchet and clank. Now that your done beating up your straw man of dave long, can we get back to our normal programming?
huong

That is the normal programming! :D

-wumpus

Haha! true. also, i liked gamebasement much better when you ran it.
huong

If Maximo had more creative progression design than I would have fallen in love with it. As it stood I found it uber-boring, but it played nicely.

Sly Cooper was a blast, Ratchet and Clank also.

Klonoa 2 was charming, for the couple hours it lasted. It felt like a game that belonged under “My First Sony’s” brandname line. I mean it was just so easy, and basic of a platformer. Very whimsical, but hardly dynamic stuff. Like fitting different shaped blocks into corresponding holes and being rewarded with bright colors and flashy imagery for successfully accomplishing the job! After completing it, I kind of felt dirty, like reading a childrens pop-up book for my own pleasure…

Yup, that’s all good stuff.