PS3: And then, the universe imploded

Not quite THAT poorly-thought-out…

Hey, this is just like my day! Except instead of buying a PS3, I bought a Gameboy Micro. And instead of paying $500, I paid $50. And instead of randomly stumbling across my system in a store, I sought it out. And I bought games for it (Riviera and Dynasty Warriors Advance to go with Wario Ware Twisted which I already own).

Just like my day…

Awesome! You got a PS3. Too bad there’s no games worth getting on it.

I can’t really recommend Resistance*. It’s old school. Very been-there, done-that-and-done-it-better. It’s particularly disappointing considering how much ass Insomniac kicked with the Ratchet & Clank series, which were just as much shooters as they were platformers. And given what you’ve written about Vegas and Gears, Gary, I’m guessing Resistance would just bounce off you.

But I dunno, you’re quoting Talladega Nights as if it wasn’t one of the most wretched comedies [sic] ever made. If you weren’t physically repulsed by that movie (oh, the pain…a suffering I haven’t endured since Nacho Libre!), then maybe you’ll dig something mediocre like Resistance. Heck, you might as well get Gundam and Genji while you’re at it. :)

-Tom
  • I’m only about half way through and I hear it gets better the farther you get. Still, a lot of my issues with it are about the fundamentals, and I can’t imagine they’ll change with new monsters or scenery or whatever makes late-game Resistance supposedly better than early- and middle-game Resistance.

No doubt. My shooter dance-card is full between Gears and Vegas anyway, and given the way those two games have caused me to re-evaluate cookie-cutter shooters like Resistance, I just can’t see it appealing. Also, Gears and Vegas seem particularly well applied to the gamepad controls, but if I’m going to play a more generic FPS like Resistance, I’m going to play it on PC where the controls are better suited.

Yeah, it was awful for sure. But hey, it’s free, and it did at least have one line that really made me laugh.

“Rickeeee Burbeee, I saw zees 'Ighlander mooviee. Eeet was sheeeet!”*

*you had to be there

Actually, I was there, and I fully agree. I’d forgotten that exchange. I also really liked some of the bits with John C. Reilly. The only times Talladega Nights took off was when the actors seemed to be goofing off a bit and going off script: Gary Cole, Will Farrell, Sasha Baron Cohen, and John C. Reilly all had their moments.

Anyway, ObPS3Ref: I guess if you have to get a game, you might try something cross-platform. I actually prefer Tony Hawk Project 8 on the PS3 because I’ll be damned if I’m going to play it with that execrable d-pad on the 360 controller. And I have no desire to play it multiplayer, so the PS3 version is doing fine by me. You also have to not care about Xbox Live achievements, which I pretend to do when I’m playing Project 8 on the PS3.

-Tom

On top of that, I found Call of Duty 3 to be a better old-school FPS than Resistance. So, even if you need to scratch that itch, you can eventually just do it on the 360 (with a better framerate, to boot).

Right now, if there’s a choice between the same game on PS3 and Xbox 360, the 360 version is going to win EVERY TIME thanks to the gamerscore and achievements. I never thought I would get hooked on them, but I did. That, and 360 online multiplayer is a proven winner whereas Sony is still trying to get its shit together on that score. I suspect that they will eventually, but right now it’s just no contest. 360 every time.

On an unrelated note, are there any games out there yet that actually make decent use of the Sixaxis tilty stuff? Just hearing that you can’t lean in Resistance makes me feel like some balls are already being dropped because tilt-to-lean seems like it should have been a no-brainer…

You know, I wasnt sure about resistance until I played multiplayer a good bit. It’s got really fun multiplayer

Or you could suddenly develop taste and buy Ridge Racer 7!

-Kitsune

No thanks, I’m sick of driving games where all you do is go round and round really fast. I like my racing to come with a little ACTION, like bashing into shit and causing crashes. This is why I think Burnout is the best racing game ever.

If they ever get around to updating Chase HQ for next-gen consoles, I will be all over that shit.

that last sentence is just for Tom.

slaps Whitta with a velvet glove containing a brick

Tsk, tsk. Such brazen buffoonery! Next, you’ll be telling me you put ketchup on your creme brulee!

-Kitsune

I can understand not liking Resistance because it’s now “old school” after RB6V and GoW, but CoD3? Sigh. It doesn’t look or play near as well as Resistance. The controls are not as good, the events are not as much fun, and the level design… well give me Resistance any day of the week. I generally much prefer the keyboard and mouse, but if every console game can control as well as Resistance then I can stand playing in the lazyboy. I like RB6V, but it’s aiming feels sloppy after Resistance. Considering how much of a slower game it is, I think that really says something.

I am also going to assume you are comparing the framerate CoD3 PS3 to CoD3 360 instead of Resistance, because otherwise it makes no sense.

I really like Resistance. I think people are being pretty unfair to it but then again, it’s not like any of us are dying for things to play atm. Put it on a super rare and expensive console with no other good games and I guess I shouldn’t be suprised it’s mostly being ignored.

Anybody know the going rate for a good dominatrix?

I’m thinking Gary might have gotten a better deal on abuse for his $541.24 :-)

… but the two pictures are awesome side-by-side. Thanks for the entertainment!

Diego

I’ll totally buy resistance for $10 in 5 years. I like alternate history shit, cheesy harry turtledove rip and all.

Yeah, I was referring to CoD on the 360 as opposed to the PS3.

Personally, I felt that Resistance just felt too generic all around. And seeing that CoD3 is pretty much the personification of generic, it’s saying alot that I enjoyed it more. I honestly just had a better time going through the single player in CoD3. I didn’t play multiplayer in Resistance, however. The multiplayer in CoD3 is by far the best in the series, though (barring the fact that you have to use a controller).

Did COD3 even wind up on PC this go-around?

Nope. CoD4 is apparently coming to it, though. Treyarch, who is a console developer, made this iteration. Infinity Ward is back on the case with CoD4, and they are much more PC friendly. I’m assuming that the port would feel extremely port-y, and be nowhere near the quality of CoD2 on the PC. Maybe they kept it away to not spoil the franchise for PC users?

He’s British, he doesn’t eat Creme Brulee… and if he did, he’d surely put ketchup on it.

When that is said, I prefer arcade racers to the more hardcore stuff like GT or PGR and thought RR7 on the PS3 (what little I tried) seemed absolutely fantastic - I prefer Burnout as well. The feeling of speed, the crashes, everything. It’s the epitome of arcade racer… if only the two games could swap music.

I think you should open the box - you’re a reviewer right? So it’s a business expense. Allthough the two pictures pretty much says it all - at least you’ll be arguing from knowledge and not wild conjecture in the future.

Also, gamerpoints and achievements as the deciding factor between two versions? Damn you guys are shallow… I still don’t get how any adult can care about achievements and gamerscore. Next you’ll be competing for highest postcount here.

Sigh… COD, Rainbow Six… it’s really sad to see franchises that were born on PC increasingly defecting to consoles.