PS3: Expensive and around for 10 years

(Spotted on Bill’s blog.)

Looks like I won’t be getting the PS3 at launch. Why bother? It’ll be expensive but at least its got a 10 year life cycle.

Plenty of companies peddle BS, but nobody does it like Sony.

emotion engine

75 gojillion polygons!

Toy Story graphics in real time!

Missile guidance systems for Iraq!

–Dave

Wow, I’m really thinking that I’ll sit out of this next generation thing for a year or so. There’s no way I’m dropping several hundred dollars on this kind of thing if that’s what it ends up costing.

You mean like the several hundred dollars it’ll cost to buy an Xbox 360 this fall?

To be first in the next generation on Sony or Microsoft hardware will cost at least $400.

–Dave

The ten years claim isn’t a big revelation. Sony insists that PS One had a ten-year lifespan and they are pushing for the PS2 to have one as well.

The 360 is gonna be 300.

Shit I didn’t buy a PS2 until March 2005 and that was my first home console since the Sega Genesis. The chance of me buying a $400 PS3 are slim to nil and slim is out buying Burnout 3 and God of War.

No, you don’t understand, IF YOU DON’T BUY A PS3 WHEN IT COMES OUT SONY WILL SEND YOU THE GOODTIMES VIRUS!!!

LET ME REMIND YOU THAT THIS IS WHAT IT DOES:

Beware!!! I heard they use the Emotion Engine to infect your FACE with it.

Why is it called 360 then?

$359

I thought retailers didn’t like “weird” price points like that?

Why is it called 360 then?

Because its a higher number then 2.

Are you suggesting that for the basic hardware, or do you mean when all is said and done?

See, 360 degrees describes a circle, and it’s called the X-BOX. So they’re circling the square!

The are edgy, and truly outside of the box.

I believe Microsoft will sell that circle for $299 even if they have to kill every single one of us to do it.

I can believe they will slap $300.00 or thereabouts on the Xbox, but where they will get you will be the HD and other periphirals (wireless controllers = more money), which will entice more than a few hardcore gamers to it’s siren song.

Are you suggesting that for the basic hardware, or do you mean when all is said and done?[/quote]

Well, considering retailers usually make you buy those “package” deals if you want a new system at launch, figure $500-$600, easily.

Example:
If Xbox 360 = $300
Extra controller = $30-$50
2-3 games = $100-$150
Another accessorie (such as remote) $30-$50
Extended Service Plan $20-$50

Which retailers make you buy those things?

I don’t recall it happening with the PS2, but I do think this kind of packaging nonsense was pretty standard with the PSP right around launch, wasn’t it?