PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Experience

I bought one of the original 20GB PS3’s because I dont play very many console games. That has served me fine for this long but I’ve become more and more interested in DLC and just how difficult it would be to upgrade my hard drive without buying a new PS3.

The short story is that Sony has made it very easy to use a standard 2.5" SATA drive (a standard notebook hard drive you can buy at any Best Buy) and switch it out yourself. Even if you aren’t very technical. Sony even incluses the ability to backup your old information first (so you wont lose any of your save game sand such)

The exact instructions can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

Personally I went for a 350Gb 7200rpm SATA hard drive from Best Buy for $119.00. They also had a 500Gb 5400rpm Sata Hard Drive (either will work with the PS3) for $99.00, but I opted for the faster speed over the addional disk space.

I used my iPod to backup and restore USB drive. I just plugged it in and the PS3 caw it as a USB drive and took care of all the hard stuff. Easy as could be.

ps Sorry if there is already a thread about this, my searching didn’t find any

I’ve thought about upgrading - my 40gb PS3 has been running out of space recently because, as it seems, most of Bethesda’s games take up about 5gb of save game space, and a couple demos past that and i’m full.

Did you have to format the drive to a specific file system? Can you use a half-full drive? (i’m supposing both to be true, since you used an ipod).

BTW, can you play ipod movies through the PS3?

I used the drive right out of the box, it was unformated. The PS3 formatted the drive itself after warning me that doing so would erase anything on the drive.

Can you use a half-full drive? (i’m supposing both to be true, since you used an ipod).

If you mean for the new hard drive then yes, but the PS3 will reformat it and erase anything you have on it.

If you mean as the backup and restore device then yes, my iPod has a ton of stuff on it which didnt interfere with (or was interferred with by) the PS3 backup. The PS3 restore process searched the iPod, found the PS3 backup (i didnt need to select anything), asked me if I wanted to restore it and took care of everything.

BTW, can you play ipod movies through the PS3?

I dont think so. Whatever format apple is storing music and movies as on the iPod the PS3 isnt able to recognize.

it doesn’t recognize the ipod file system but if you extract the mp4s from it with sharepod, xilisoft ipod transfer or something else, it likely will be able to play it–just not as seamlessly as with the ipod directly hooked up.

I believe the drive you backup to needs to be FAT32.