PS3 v. NYT

[url=“http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?ref=technology”]
Howard Stringer, you have a problem. Your company’s new video game system just isn’t that great.

Owned.

And in contrast:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1558498,00.html

Damming.
But when comparing it to the Xbox 360 he’s forgetting that some of the stuff he’s praising wasn’t avaliable at launch either.

But his basic premise is right, Sony is playing catch up - but by having the most powerfull hardware they at least have the possibility of doing exactly that, and everything he mentions can be software upgraded. I’m just happy I never intended to buy my PS3 at launch.

I’ve played 5 games on the PS3 (for only a short while) and while none we’re Xbox 360 beaters I had more fun playing Resistance on the PS3 than I did playing Metroid on the Wii and more fun playing Ridge Racer (say what you want - it’s an awesome arcade racer) than I did Excite Truck on the Wii.

So the launch lineup is a bland as the Xbox 360 was and does more for me than the Wii’s - but that’s just me.

But it is competing against the Xbox 360 as it is now and not how it was at launch - so Sony needs to react fast… or just rely on there being enough PlayStation fans and cinephiles buying it for the Blu-Ray player.

Yup…in a sense it isn’t fair, but from a consumer standpoint, most people want to buy based on “now” rather than “later”. Right “now” 360 is looking pretty good. I hope for Sony’s sake they do a better job of keeping the titles coming than Microsoft did last Spring.

But when comparing it to the Xbox 360 he’s forgetting that some of the stuff he’s praising wasn’t avaliable at launch either.

Yeah, also:

Even after Microsoft took the lead in the video-game wars a year ago with its innovative and powerful Xbox 360

How is the 360 (more) innovative? I’d say Live is Microsoft’s biggest achievement, but that one was already started with the original Xbox.

-Julian

How is the 360 (more) innovative? I’d say Live is Microsoft’s biggest achievement, but that one was already started with the original Xbox.

Not only that how did MS “take the lead?” To this day there are more PS2s in homes than all of the last and current gen of consoles combined and last I saw (it was a while ago mind you) the PS2 was still selling. I suppose “lead” in this case means first to market but that isn’t really a “lead” in the overall race. Next Christmas will be the big one for Sony and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are as many (if not more) PS3s out there as 360s afterwards.

Yup…in a sense it isn’t fair, but from a consumer standpoint, most people want to buy based on “now” rather than “later”.

Completely agree with this. Most consumers only care about what is available now, and the 360 is far ahead at the moment. It only helps the 360 that you can actually buy one as well.

Yeah, but LIVE is integrated sooooooooooooooo well. I mean, it’s absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to coordinate games, talk about games, download demos, Arcade, videos, voice and cam chat, and on, and on, and on.

Plus dont’ overlook custom soundtracks for every game. That’s something I SERIOUSLY miss playing PC games.

Well, he is a reviewer, so by lead he means which of the two consoles he feel is the best after trying both, which is fair enough.

I too was very impressed with the slickness of XBL when I reviewed the 360, but not blind to its faults either. He’s glossing over those now.

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable expectation for the PS3 to have launched with services similar to where the 360 is now and not at launch. The PS3 is in a place where they are playing catchup, as they implement features to match the 360 the 360 will likely be implementing new features to keep it ahead.

No, and I said as much in my first post.
But the stuff he’s focussing on is software and can be fixed by a good ui upgrade and some decent titles, so it’s not like the race is lost for Sony and I think releasing without those features will still hurt them less than delaying release even more would have done.

Of course it’s not certain they’ll ever “fix” these issues, they might focus on other stuff or just fuck that part up.

Nice reads!

I actually look forward to being more active while playing. “Say, you look good, do you work out?” “Nah, I play the Wii!” :D

Its going to be a good show on how this all is going to roll!

So, while I agree that the guy was forgetting what was available on the xbox at launch, ultimately, it doesn’t matter. Sony is competing with the 360 now, not a year ago. So his criticisms of what the PS3 doesn’t have are entirely reasonable and accurate.

And the 360 was innovative if for no other reason than the integration of Live in to the base console. There’s innovation there, whether or not people want to accept it. And if it wasn’t innovative… why is everyone else copying them?

Ugh… really? Man, that’s sort of embarrassing, considering how elegantly the 360 handles that stuff. The PS3 online experience sounds like it’s worth what you pay for it. Unfortunately.

The 360 was doing the exact same thing until recently.

They fixed that in the spring update, IIRC, so the 360 has had background downloading for some time now. And yeah, it should have always had it, I agree. Like the PS3. But one has it now, and the other doesn’t.

Exactly, and now is all that matters. The PS3 had a year to watch the 360, possibly learn from its mistakes, and implement them for a smoother launch then the 360. As we can see, that didn’t happen.

X360 was the first console to be high-definition as standard, the first console to ship with wireless controllers, the Marketplace/Arcade took the Xbox Live concept to a whole other level, the first with a removable hard drive, the first with gamerscores and achievements, the first with in-game access to the OS… I’d say it was pretty damn innovative.

I’d say only the Live/Achievement stuff counts there. I thought HD as a standard was the pretty obvious path to take since the last round of consoles hit, so I’m not going to give MS credit there. Same with wireless controllers. If anyone should get credit on controllers it’s Nintendo for being the first to ship wireless controllers that worked perfectly. Hell, wireless isn’t even standard if you buy a Core system. Removable HDD? PS2’s HDD is removable and the fact that the damn HDD is optional in 360 is a regression from the original Xbox (where having the HDD was innovative).

The Live/Achievement stuff is pretty huge, though.

Also, the 360 doesn’t technically ship with wireless controllers. The Core is wired only. You have to pay another $100 extra for wireless and the removable hard drive. There are plenty of Core units around, so it’s not like it’s going to be a given that people buy a 360 with both those things included.

The whole Core/Premium thing looks dumber and dumber to me as time goes by. They still sow the seeds of confusion with every Core purchase.