PSP: Must have game

I have Hotshots Golf. Love it. Ready for another. Which is a good game?

<ducks>

Lumines is good. Wipeout Pure is very good if you like that kind of racer. And… that’s about it.

…Lumines?

and SCUMMVM :)

Virtua Tennis also rocks.

lumines, tennis, GTA, burnout. absolutely nothing else (other than hotshots) is a must have…

though I havent played Legend of heroes yet, and I think it will be a must have for me (but I dont know many other people who dig falcom titles)

Grand Theft Auto is my favorite PSP game right now.

Oh, and I think Tom said PSP KOTOR was good.

(Too meta?)

Maybe, but it works. :)

-Tom

I figured I need’nt be too specific since the library of games is rather small. What do you guys think of the ports, like X-Men Legends 2?

Vurtua Tennis is way too newbie-unfriendly. I think all the folks recommending it are lovers from the Dreamcast era.

SSX on Tour is just another damn SSX game, either love it or you’ve had your fling a long time back with Tricky. SWBF2 is on the way from GameFly, we’ll see how that goes.

Burnout Legends is terrific, by far the best racing game on the PSP. Wipeout Pure is a close second. Death Jr. was weaker than expected, MediEvil Resurrection was better than expected. GTA:LCS is a great GTA game. I wonder how many people immediately drove to the old safe house to see if anything was there. THUG2 is a solid Tony Hawk game, love 'em or not.

Midnight Club 3 might kick all kinds of ass but I can’t get beyond the extreme load times. NFSU: Rivals didn’t have a lot of personality, neither did Ridge Racer or Untold Legends.

Burnout and Liberty City

Guilty as charged, but out of curiosity, why do you find it newbie unfriendly?

X-Men Legends 2 is very well done with the exception of a lot of painful loading.

Vurtua Tennis is way too newbie-unfriendly. I think all the folks recommending it are lovers from the Dreamcast era.[/quote]

Negative, I like it and don’t recall ever touching a Dreamcast (between the Atari 2600 and the PSP I haven’t been a console payer).
I do find it quite difficult, though. But fun.

My list:

Lumines
Burnout Legends
Ridge Racer
Hot Shots Golf
Virtua Tennis
Wipeout Pure

GTA isn’t out here yet, bastards.

The RPG style campaign in Virtua Tennis PSP might be newbie-unfriendly, but the basic game certainly isn’t. The problem is that you start out the campaign with really crappy players and you have to level their stats up from the bottom. It can take a long time before your players are as responsive as you want them to be.

But if you just fire up a game with one of the pros, it’s that same ol’ Virtua Tennis/Pong simplicity. I heartily recommend it for fans of the Dreamcast version, people new to the series, and even people who don’t care one whit about real tennis.

-Tom

Hah! It’s my first console since an Atari too!
Personally I found Wipeout to be too hard and gave up on it. The first 4 titles on your list are great (I haven’t played Virtua Tennis but have heard great things).

I just picked up X-Men Legends and it looks great so far.
Also I’ve been enjoying LotR tactics but it has some interface oddities.

I wouldn’t really call any of them “must-own” though that’s a very solid list. That’s the curse of the PSP so far. There are some clunkers (e.g. Frantix, Smart Bomb), and a nice list of good–great titles, but nothing considered a killer, everyone-must-have app (though there are games you’d be screwy not to get if you like a particular kind of game, e.g. Lumines). I had hoped Infected might be that application, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

I had hoped Infected might be that application, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

It’s a killer app if you will get to play multiplayer with any regularity. I’m not a huge fan of the single player though.

My favorite PSP game is X-Men Legends 2, hands down. Load times can be a drag, but if you avoid using the town portal it’s not too bad. Hell, the character details screen comes up nearly twice as fast as it does on the XBox.

Guilty as charged, but out of curiosity, why do you find it newbie unfriendly?[/quote]

Because I’m running thorugh all of the “training” exercises, but I’m not actually being told the cause-and-effect relationship between what I do and what happens on the screen. I think where I hold the analog nub during a serve controls the placement of the shot, but I’m not sure. I’ve gone through several months of the tour and all I can do is play the same exercises over and over, failing most of the time. Where’s my cookie?