PSP: Must have game

Leveling up weak players isn’t … (drumroll please) … fun. I see the bars moving, but I’m not seeing improvement and I’m not getting any guidance from the game with regard to shot placement, backhand vs. forehand, when to approach the net. Using an existing pro with my lack of knowledge just leads to another type of humilating defeat.

It’s a gorgeous game, has that great “Sega feel,” and I want to stick with it, but there are so many other games out there that won’t pants me and leave me out on the interstate to find my way home. I’m too busy for Virtua Tennis hell week.

I’ve never seen a tennis game that offers the kind of guidance you’re speaking of. I think they assume that you have some knowledge of tennis.

Tip: Focus on a specific type of practice more than others (e.g. Forehand). Once this is trained to high, try to get in position to use that forehand. Good positioning is key. Just because you’re within reach to hit the ball doesn’t mean you will hit it with authority. Adjust to the optimal position. And then hold down the direction (and stroke button) you want to hit the ball as long as possible (the longer you hold it the more angle you will get).

If you are running 1.5 I think this game is rippable. I upped to 2.0 for gta and dont feel like up/downgrading so any mention of longish load times will make me pass on any psp game now that I can’t simply rip them and play from the mem stick. I fucking hate load times, thank god GTA is painless there.

[quote=“Moore”]

If you are running 1.5 I think this game is rippable. I upped to 2.0 for gta and dont feel like up/downgrading so any mention of longish load times will make me pass on any psp game now that I can’t simply rip them and play from the mem stick. I fucking hate load times, thank god GTA is painless there.[/quote]

It is, but it’s huge. There’s a smallish RIP out there, but it doesn’t have any voices, which is one of the best parts.

Load times are 10 or 15 seconds, but don’t happen much. I’ve had 15 minute stretches with no load times.

oh that doesnt soudn too bad then. HINT for reviewers: especially on psp games, if you even mention that load times are noticable- TIME THEM. your threshold may differ. 10 seconds is fine, I read a review sopmewhere that said they were lengthy, and assumed they meant ‘for a psp game’ and had an untold legends 45 seconds load time flashback (which has literally like a 2-3 sec. load if played from a mem stick. UMD sucks)

For the record, both Kingdom of Paradise and Legend of Heroes are really solid console-style RPGs. Legend of Heroes is classic Nihon Falcom (they made Sorcerian, Brandish and Ys, for the fogies), and Kingdom of Paradise is really REALLY pertty with a great soundtrack. Neither has disappointed so far.

I’ve been waiting for LoH, but I pre-ordered it at a gamerush w/ trade ins, so It’s likely not going to be there until next year this time. Total morons, but they dont order anything, they wait for corporate or whatever to just send them stuff, even if its a preorder. Then the first 2 weeks of shipments go to the rental shelf, even before pre-orders.