Psychonauts 2!

Wholly, you have to make your winky emojis BIGGER.

Well I’m still waiting for the second half of Brutal Legend, so I’m hoping that’s next on the list!

I think people mean the last third of Brutal Legend, not the last half. The game had three factions, you spent half the game with one faction, slowly learning all their units and strategies, then the other half with the second faction, learning their equivalent. And then you went up against the final faction, and you didn’t spend any time learning that faction, so people think that third of the game was logically must have been cut.

I’m not sure if I agree with that necessarily. The way the story was going, to have a whole 3rd of the game still left at that point would have been really stretching things. OTOH, the story would be adjusted if that 3rd existed, so it wouldn’t feel that way. So I suppose you could insert that in there with a talented writer, and they could make it work. But as a fan of shorter games, I’m personally glad it wasn’t there.

Well I didn’t just dream that up:

“[Brutal Legend 2] was going to be the second half of the game that was originally designed. It happens almost every time I design a game. I’ll come up with about twice as much as I can actually fit. In Brutal Legend, the island is kind of C-shaped, and you were going to go through the home of these factions. We had three: Ironheade, Drowning Doom, and the Tainted Coil. Those were all throughout development known as group A, group B, and group D. We had to cut group C. Group C was this whole other faction. In the game, right now it ends at the Sea of Black Tears. You were going to power on through into group C’s territory and then power through into group D’s territory and eventually confront Doviculus in his imperial palace at the tip of the demon’s land. There was going to be a massive boss monster there.”

Wow that article is great.

Also:

Oh man, now I really want Microsoft to make Brutal Legend 2 happen somehow.

Well I can’t say with complete certainty that they’re not doing that.

But I’m sorry to confuse, I was just making a joke based on their reputation.

Delayed to 2020.

I’m not seeing where it says in writing (I’m not watching videos) anything about a delay to 2020…

From the link:

There really shouldn’t be too many other noticeable changes for you at all, at least not for a while…with one notable exception: We’re now targeting next year for release.

Thanks. Missed while looking for 2020.

Shocking!

Since I will be playing on day one, I have no problem with when it’s done.

Wow, it’s been four and a half years since I paid for this.

We had cut our boss fights. Now we are able to put those back in, and we’re like ‘we think people would have noticed if we didn’t have those boss fights’.

Now I almost wish they had held off a bit longer on getting their additional funding! OK, I’m kidding. Or am I?

Another reminder that as great as Schafer and co are at certain things, managing a budget is not one of them.

On the other hand, the backer updates have pretty much disappeared since the acquisition. Rather disappointing.

(read ominously) There’s a new backer now.

Heh. I’d completely forgotten about this until today’s necro. What a delightful reminder!

So I’ll be getting it on Game Pass anyway, and as a backer I’ll be getting a copy on PC and on Xbox.

Suddenly, I’m really hoping this is a launch title for the Series X. I’d love to play a new Psychonauts on the new machine.