Psychonauts 2!

Whoa, that’s pretty cool! What kind of song are we talking about here?

She said they were looking for a Shirley Bassey sound. I assume something like the Goldfinger theme.

That’s awesome, congrats to her.

Tim Schafer!
He’s the man, the man with the Midas touch
A spider’s touch
Just a small wager
Beckons you to enter his web of Fig
But don’t back it!

Golden words he will pour in your ear
But his lies can’t disguise what you fear
For a golden girl knows from Kickstarter
It’s the kiss of death from

Mister Tim Shafer!
Pretty girl beware of this heart of gold
This heart is cold!

As time goes on, I recognize that my exuberance for Psychonauts 2 may have run away with me a bit in creating this thread. I get that, but I am still pretty enthusiastic and looking forward to its release. And today, backers got an email with a bit more info about work that’s going on, such as a new lead designer coming on, Zak McClendon. Seems he was at Harmonix for a while, and before that lead designer on Bioshock 2. There’s also a bit about the work taking place on Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin, and getting the voice actors for Raz and Lili in for that. Plus they’ll be showing Psychonauts 2 next week at E3, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for that.

Good news! A playable Psychonauts side story, continuing directly from the end of the first game, is being released next month.

Bad news, it’s PS4 only. Grrr. Double Fine better have received the finest, tallest money hats for that.

That is indeed good news/bad news. Well, any PS4 owners (as well as PSVR owners, looks like) interested in picking this up and giving some impressions?

PSVR only. If it turns out to be on PC down the line, I’ll play it then.

This is kind of unexpected but Starbreeze just announced they are publishing Psychonauts 2.

Starbreeze Publishing will publish Psychonauts 2, the anticipated sequel currently in development at Double Fine Productions, in 2018, the company announced. Starbreeze will invest $8 million USD to bring the game to PC and other console platforms through digital distribution.

Bo Andersson-Klint, CEO of Starbreeze:

“Many of us gamers who’ve grown up during 70’s and 80’s have at some point come across the great games from Double Fine and Tim Schafer. Games like Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and Brutal Legend are all in the list of personal all time favorites for many of us. We’re very proud to be able to add this prominent collaboration to our Publishing business. Starbreeze is looking forward to support Double Fine in bringing the new and exciting game Psychonauts 2 to young and old gamers world wide”

Starbreeze:

Starbreeze will be able to recoup 100% of its full investment including marketing costs with an initial revenue share of 85% after distribution and platform fees and Fig crowdfunding revenue share. Starbreeze share of revenues will become 60% after the investment is recouped. Double Fine will retain 100% of the intellectual property relating to Psychonauts 2.

Yeah, I meant to mention there was an email from Fig about this. Early going and all, but nice to see what they’re doing.

Sadly, PN1 is still on my backlog. I think I’ve installed it a few times, with the intention of playing it.

Backers, check your emails - tshirt size survey incoming!

Scroll down to backer rewards section:

What we do know is that we’re probably looking at sending these out in 3 batches. One batch of stuff that doesn’t take too long to make (shirts for example), another batch of stuff for the more complex or custom things (like action figures) and a final batch for stuff that requires the game to be complete.

Be on the lookout for surveys from fangamer in your mail - we’re going to start collecting information like shirt sizes, and mailing addresses really soon!

Kind of bummed, got the latest update in a backer email, Psychonauts 2 will not be released in 2018. Hopefully the extra time will make for a bette me game.

Are they working on anything else at the same time or just psychonauts 2? I still need to play the first game. Had it forever, does it hold up and play well still (PC)?

I think so. You’ll see a lot of opinions around that the characters and ideas in the game are better than its platforming mechanics, but I disagree. I had a huge time bouncing and gliding around, using Raz’s mental powers to do stuff. Considering you already own it, I’d say fire it up and try the first level, Basic Braining. It’ll give you an idea of what you’re in for.

Jeez. Won’t launch in 2018? What was the reason?

It’s Double Fine.

Didn’t really go into specifics, just that when they tried out their playable build it didn’t meet their level of quality. So, yeah.

Forum needs a like button, etc.