Puerto Rico Thread

I don’t think Puerto Ricans vote in the general election. Only the party primaries IIRC.

For now…

They don’t, unless they move to the mainland - which, given the battering the island has taken, is a virtual certainty for a bunch of them.

Well, if he starts talks with the President of Puerto Rico, maybe they can arrange something.

One of these days someone is going to start talking to me about the president of Puerto Rico, in person, and I am going to to just freak out on them, in the store, in a restaurant, just verbally let loose.

Oh for sure, but much like Mexico , Ireland, Cuba etc there are a decent chunk of people who are US citizens of Puerto Rican descent who can vote. Going by the white hot rage my neighbours have … yeah, they wont be voting Republican any time soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/exodus-from-puerto-rico-grows-as-island-struggles-to-rebound-from-hurricane-maria/2018/03/06/b2fcb996-16c3-11e8-92c9-376b4fe57ff7_story.html?utm_term=.7a34d6ad28bd&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College in New York estimates that between 114,000 and 213,000 people will leave the island in 2018, with the vast majority headed for Florida.

Yessssssss

Edit: Not to undermine their tragedy, but I’m very happy to have them here in Florida, voting.

Can some of them head to Texas? Could make a real difference eventually.

Of course the downside here is that for an island already undergoing austerity measures and a crippling depression, the sudden loss of the very classes most able to afford to pick up and move elsewhere isn’t exactly going to make things better or help it recover any faster. While I’m as excited as anyone to see Florida turn more reliably blue for a generation or two, the island is being crushed by a vice of debt, disaster, and disinterest and it’s absolutely awful :(

Yes but bright side is if they are here voting on progressive policy, maybe we can swing the government to one that cares a little bit about PR and can actually help.

Considering how many of the issues began well before and continued right through the Obama presidency, you may find that many Puerto Ricans aren’t especially encouraged by the thought, though I’ll note that the alternative direction would certainly be worse.

And just like last time a Democrat was elected, there is going to be an awful mess to clean up.

Well at least you’ll have a couple hundred thousand new voters for the Pentopia.

To be clear, I’m not trying to shit on your enthusiasm/be a dick about it. Just recognizing that what might be good for us as a nation might wind up only deepening the island’s troubles in particular in the short term. Any recovery is gonna be slow, and having the nation back on the right track’ll help, but the next few years on PR are going to be extremely difficult.

Great, now I’m picturing a giant dick shitting on a pile of enthusiasm.

I can see how the people of Puerto Rico aren’t exactly optimistic about actually getting help from their government in which they get no representation. Especially given recent, and not so recent, history.

Shitting dick nipples?

More like:

Puerto Rico Are not exactly on austerity they are bankrupt. They expanded on a huge fiscal expansion backed by terrible federal tax policy that gave PR bonds a huge tax break.

PR is also bound to US federal policy which had destroyed their economic infrastructure. The Federal min wage has been very damaging to the country raising costs making them less attractive than their neighbors. The PR state government did a study that also found federal transfer programs exceeded earnings for many low skill PR workers.

PR has been screwed by federal policy and this was way before the hurricane. They need exemption from us laws to help make them competitive. Being tied to the dollar and US fed policy is a huge disadvantage to Them. There is a slew of academic and economic literature on how subjecting PR to us fed min wage is one the key points of PR decline.

I think you mean territory, unless you’re claiming the federal minimum wage sank the entire USA.