Puerto Rico Thread

My boss just arrived in PR today for a working vacation. That must be fun, guy has a 1 year old.

The weeklong campaign by Gov. Ricardo Rosselló is aimed at energizing and registering 5.6 million islanders in the U.S. and convincing them to vote for pro-Puerto Rico lawmakers.

In one of nearly a dozen media appearances, Rosselló threatened Wednesday night on "The Daily Show, " “If you go against the people of Puerto Rico, we will vote you out.”
[…]
He is starting with Puerto Rican communities in Florida and New York, where support is already high for the island. His goal is to expand that support.

To do that he is promoting a campaign called PODER, Spanish for “power,” which is a new voter empowerment initiative to mobilize Puerto Ricans living in the U.S. Those on the mainland are allowed to vote in national elections, unlike those on the island.

“The call is for all Puerto Ricans to activate themselves during elections in the United States, no matter which political party they sympathize with or that they belong to no political party. The goal is for each Puerto Rican residing inside and outside the Island to serve as spokespeople for the causes that benefit Puerto Rico,” he said.

After the shit they’ve endured, they need to become a state. What is happening in PR is disgusting.

This was predictable, and predicted. And still we let it happen.

(Katrina was 1800, by the way, estimated using the same methods.)

Yeah, but those were 'Mericans! (please understand, Internet, this was a joke)

We’ve known for months that the death too was way higher than initially reported. I expect the reaction from many will be to simply deny it and say it’s untrue.

The general response will just be to ignore it, as we have always ignored Puerto Rico.

Well, at least they don’t pay federal taxes, right?

(Following the ‘no taxation without representation’ principle)

Not all that surprising. There are probably people, to this day, who still don’t know those are US citizens there. Remember when Apple had their antenna thing and the call center couldn’t handle sending replacements to Puerto Rico because a bunch of them thought it was another country?

I couldn’t find anything about a UN hearing on PR recently - any idea when/where this is?

Fair question, apparently there is a thing called decolonization committee. So to be fair to the current administration I can understand why they would ignore it. I would as well. I will leave my post above so folks can see what we are talking about, but yeah, I think this is NOT the Trump administration ignoring an investigation into the hurricane. More them ignoring a fairly obvious UN troll committee.

So I withdraw the implied accusation my original post.

Ahh, thanks. Still seems like something the US should attend, given that it obviously deals with US matters!

If you click the tweet, the poster says in all fairness that this hearing is held every year and the US skips it every year. So this isn’t something to lay at the feet of the Trump Administration (i.e., we’ve always treated Puerto Rico horribly).

Is ignoring a decolonization meeting treating them horribly?

In and of itself no, but at the least it shows an attitude of benign indifference. And the way we screw them over with the Jones act and the way we screwed them over with regard to their debt, do you think we treat them well?

I never paid attention to them or the situation until Maria. I’m on the west coast, so they might as well have been on Mars. Twenty five years ago I would have just assumed they were some sort of Mexican Islander.

I just didn’t think the act of ignoring these meetings was a demonstration of poor treatment.

Holy crap. It is bad enough they thing it appropriate to commission a coin for doing their job. It unconscionable that they believe they’ve actually done their jobs.