Puerto Rico Thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/10/05/fema-removes-statistics-about-drinking-water-access-and-electricity-in-puerto-rico-from-website

As of Wednesday, half of Puerto Ricans had access to drinking water and 5 percent of the island had electricity, according to statistics published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency on its Web page documenting the federal response to Hurricane Maria.

By Thursday morning, both of those key metrics were no longer on the Web page.

FEMA spokesman William Booher noted that both measures are still being reported on a website maintained by the office of Puerto Rican Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, www.status.pr. According to that website, which is in Spanish, 9.2 percent of the island now has power and 54.2 percent of residents have access to drinking water. Booher said that these measures are also shared in news conferences and media calls that happen twice a day, but he didn’t elaborate on why they are no longer on the main FEMA page.

After all keeping, the information from citizens about their water safety worked out swimmingly in Flint, Michigan

This administration has all the transparency of a black hole

Much work! Little appreciation! Sad!

I suppose throwing rolls of paper towels and toilet paper is a lot of work.

Don’t worry only like 90% of them are without power and water.

Hey now, HALF of them have water now.
That’s only like, 1.5 million people who haven’t had clean water for a few weeks?
Rub some dirt on it, folks.

Friend of mine flew down there today with her brother and a ton of survival gear for her family and friends on the island, including generators, solar panels, portable chargers, water purification equipment, blankets, flashlights, and more. There were some scattered reports of stuff like that being stolen at the airport, so they were pretty paranoid going in, but their family lives in the southeastern corner of the island in a tiny village; no aid getting there anytime soon.

More or less once they leave San Juan, they’ll be outta cell coverage for a week or so, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared for them. It’s rough as hell down there :-/

Talk about bad optics.

Zuckerberg, along with Facebook’s head of social virtual reality, Rachel Franklin, appeared as avatars within the broadcast from his profile as they “teleported” to different locations using Facebook’s “social VR” tool Spaces. In reality, the two were speaking from the comfort of their offices in the company’s campus in Menlo Park, California, wearing virtual reality headsets.

“One of the things that’s really magical about VR is you can get the feeling you’re really in a place,” said Zuckerberg as his grinning avatar floated over scenes of flooding and destruction.

“Rachel and I aren’t even in the same building in the physical world, but it feels like we’re in the same place and can make eye contact,” he added before he and Rachel high-fived within the virtual space with the sombre scenes of Puerto Rican devastation around them.

VR ROXX! High-five broham!

Oh. Breathtakingly bad.

NSFW for the uploader adding his own stupid stuff.

I have to imagine someone’s already has digitally replaced Puerto Rico with a concentration camp.

Who could have guessed that Palmer Luckey wouldn’t be Oculus’s biggest CEO PR disaster?

The end of that video is decidedly NSFW btw!

Yeah seriously, WTF is up with the sudden switcheroo at the end of that second video. Holy pee-pee tape Batman!

I want to know who at Facebook thought a VR tour of devastated Puerto Rico, including footage of the Red Cross “Victim Finder” (!?!) would be a fantastic way to showcase new technology? TONE DEAF.

LOL, that’s FLIR footage from an AC130 gunship… amazing.

Ah… seeing the end of that video makes me think that the AC130 flir footage was not in fact part of Facebook’s original stuff.

Yeah, sorry. I should’ve specified that only the VR avatar stuff with Zuckerberg and the woman were from the actual event. All that other stuff is the YouTuber’s dumb jokes.

Things seem to be getting critical

blinking.gif.

Thanks, stupid voters.