Puerto Rico Thread

Jesus fucking Christ. Who knew the first significant load of blood on Trump voters’ hands would be a bunch of brown people!

None of them can ever be forgiven for what they did.

They literally do not care.

Yep. “It’s about time someone held Puerto Rico accountable!” is probably their (the average Trump voter) take on it.

Plus, I mean, it fits in nicely with the “pull yourselves up by your bootstraps” creed of the GOP anyway. They’ve never been particularly interested in either the origins of that phrase or the obvious roadblocks to doing the impossible.

Is FEMA still active in Florida and Texas?

You mean the people of Puerto Rico right? Because we know now from Trump’s tweet that this was mostly their fault.

/s

I’m still unsure if Trump even knows Puerto Rico is part of the USA.

I’m sure he doesn’t. I have no doubt that aides have told him repeatedly, and he immediately forgets. To steal a quote from Rick Wilson, they are just ‘sea Mexicans’ to him, anyway.

He threw them some paper towels, what more do they want from him?

Pence yesterday:

And so we know the people of Puerto Rico will recover, and we will be with them every step of the way. And as the President said on his visit to the island earlier in the week, and I said as well, and I say to all of you gathered here today to the people of Puerto Rico: We are with you, we stand with you, and we will be with you every single day until Puerto Rico is restored bigger and better than ever before. Puerto Rico se levanta!

Yeah, nevermind everything the President has said and done since that one time he kind of almost said something that wasn’t an insult.

It’s disgusting that Trump supporters will excuse his total disregard for the lives of millions of Americans.

I pray that Karma eventually kicks in for these people.

.30-06 is more effective.

His supporters clearly don’t give a shit about the sea Mexicans either.

This is amazing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/how-the-pentagon-spun-hurricane-maria

Late last month, Pentagon communications officials inadvertently included Bloomberg climate reporter Christopher Flavelle on an internal distribution list, in which Defense Department and Federal Emergency Management Agency officials discussed their evolving strategy for presenting the response to Hurricane Maria.

Despite repeatedly alerting officials to the error, Bloomberg continued receiving the emails for five days. Those messages, each of which was marked “unclassified,” offer a glimpse into the federal government’s struggle to convince the public that the response effort was going well.

Ever since this ordeal began, San Juan has had over 300 sustained volunteers from the United States. Good, hard working people from New York, Florida, California, Texas and many others who embody the fundamental values of compassion, ingenuity and hard work that you are certainly unable to express. These men and women, most of them union workers, have literally taken care of our bodies and souls. They did not come for a photo op or to throw paper towels and insults at us. They came to help, something you seem to be unable to grasp. These volunteers have seen the horror that you continue to want to dismiss. They embody the true spirit of the American values that you dismiss with every inappropriate and derogatory action and comment.

Tweet away your hate to mask your administration’s mishandling of this humanitarian crisis. While you are amusing yourself throwing paper towels at us, your compatriots and the world are sending love and help our way. Condemn us to a slow death of non drinkable water, lack of food, lack of medicine while you keep others eager to help from reaching us since they face the impediment of the Jones Act.

I ask every American that has love, and not hate in their hearts, to stand with Puerto Rico and let this President know we WILL NOT BE LEFT TO DIE. I ask the United Nations, UNICEF and the world to stand with the people of Puerto Rico and stop the genocide that will result from the lack of appropriate action of a President that just does not get it because he has been incapable of looking in our eyes and seeing the pride that burns fiercely in our hearts and souls.

No one needs an invitation to help, to feed the hungry, to cure the sick, to give a helping hand to those in need. Simply put: HELP US. WITHOUT ROBUST and CONSISTENT HELP, WE WILL DIE.

President Donald Trump lashed out at hurricane-devastated Puerto Rico on Thursday, insisting in tweets that the federal government can’t keep sending help “forever” and suggesting the U.S. territory was to blame for its financial struggles.

His broadsides triggered an outcry from Democrats in Washington and officials on the island, which has been reeling since Hurricane Maria struck three weeks ago, leaving death and destruction in an unparalleled humanitarian crisis.

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, with whom Trump has had a running war of words, tweeted that the president’s comments were “unbecoming” to a commander in chief and “seem more to come from a ‘Hater in Chief.’”

“Mr. President, you seem to want to disregard the moral imperative that your administration has been unable to fulfill,” the mayor said in a statement.

The debate played out as the House passed, on a sweeping 353-69 vote, a $36.5 billion disaster aid package that includes assistance for Puerto Rico’s financially-strapped government. House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said the government needs to ensure that Puerto Rico can “begin to stand on its own two feet” and said the U.S. has “got to do more to help Puerto Rico rebuild its own economy.”

According to Khanna, members of the Disaster Medical Assistance Team “used the triage tents that are supposed to be for medical care and instead brought in local Puerto Rican residents to give the medical workers cut-rate manicures and pedicures.” The spa treatments were given while the relief workers were on the clock.

Khanna also shared photos with MSNBC that show the medical professionals wearing flip-flops in an environment that was supposed to be sterile.

After witnessing the “gross misuse of taxpayer funds and abuse of our privileged positions,” Khanna wrote a lengthy resignation letter to the National Disaster Medical System, according to Raw Story.

“I can no longer serve with honor,” Khanna told her superiors at the agency.

Let’s say it again slowly: Medical personnel. On a tax-funded relief mission. Charged with treating sick and injured Puerto Ricans. Opted to use the triage tents intended to provide care. To instead bring in local residents. The same population they were supposed to caring for. People with limited access to drinking water, food and electricity. And had those Puerto Ricans give them manicures and pedicures at cut-rate prices.

But did they let them eat cake?