Punisher - War Zone

I meant that the card was better than I thought. Occasionally playable, even!

Man, screw the lore. I read like two of the books and one was only passable.

You don’t have to read the books–Christ, do you think I do?–but just playing with the cards will let you know the setting of a given block. Look, here are some regular Magic goblins:

That’s what lives on most of the planes in the Magic universe. But there are also these other races, which are pretty much goblins, but not exactly. They look different, and have different names, but they’re still creature type goblin:

See? They’re different. It wouldn’t make sense for a place to be full of regular goblins and have one Mogg running around for good measure.

Okay, this is fucked UP. I just got back from playing an all day Magic session with my buddies, and I think to myself, “man, I need a break from Magic… hey, a thread on how bad punisher is!”

What the hell!? :)

Since the Punisher isn’t really worth talking about evidently (I did like the Thomas Jane one though, actually) I’ll add to the Magic discussion. I recently got my 8 year old in on this, and he’s hooked. He’s got a few decks put together now with some of my older cards (and there is some really good stuff there, lightning bolts, terrors, counter spell, plus all the cool rares I never seem able to fit into my decks) and it’s been a lot of fun playing Magic with him a few times a week.

I’d think so too, which is why I was surprised when you posted the wrong one.

He doesn’t seem to be doing any graiding (I assume that’s some sort of Final Fantasy term for casting magic or something), but that’s definitely him!

Then write into the lore that they came in through a magic portal.

It’s awesome that you’re playing with him, but if I were you, I’d cut this off because the hobby gets expensive. I wasted tons of money in my adolescence on this stuff. Heh, the last time I played was this past summer - I bought Exodus precons on Ebay.

what aboot squee?

Yeah, I myself got into it the summer Revised edition came out, right after highschool ('94) and I spent that entire summer NOT saving up for a car before college as was the plan, but blowing all my cash on cards. Like, ALL of it. We all did. Then I proceded to spend my first year of college spending all day in class planning decks and thinking up combos, and waiting with baited breath for Ice Age to drop. Ugh.

Fortunately, he’s actually young enough he depends on me for things like money, cards, and someone to play with, so I keep the play time down to a moderate one or two games a week (usually on weekends) and he only gets a pack or two once in awhile (which is why I gave him most of my old cards, to help curb the need for new ones for a bit).

The only thing I can’t stop is his obsessing over it during school, but so far that hasn’t been a problem so I won’t worry about it yet.

Still, all in all, it’s really fun to have a built-in Magic player in the house! :)

Geez, is this movie so bad it gets threadjacked by MtG - and on the first page, no less?

$4M opening weekend.

So, not every comic book movie is going to be a hit…

I was bummed when I heard that Tom Jane wasn’t returning as the Punisher. I thought his Punisher movie was pretty darn good. Hell, I liked it enough to buy it on DVD. I would’ve liked to have seen him reprise the role and for the handlers of his movie to write and direct another one.

I liked the movie too, and I’m a fan of Mr. Jane. I have the movie on DVD, but I don’t really watch it complete, I just run the amazing fight with the HUGE russian and consider myself satisfied.

I thought jane was too Ken looking, new guy looks like the uglier punisher art (basically most drawings/paintings of him that have any detail)

Maybe they can just stop making Punisher movies now. It seems pretty clear that it’s not going to work on the big screen.

I am excited to see this movie.

Really, dude? Just that one guy? For the sake of not obsoleting your username, you want them to do something that a) is inane, b) is pointless, and c) worst of all, requires people to read the shitty novels to make sense of it?!? That’s a mighty cruel fate to inflict on the rest of us.

It’s awesome that you’re playing with him, but if I were you, I’d cut this off because the hobby gets expensive. I wasted tons of money in my adolescence on this stuff. Heh, the last time I played was this past summer - I bought Exodus precons on Ebay.

Meh. You can play casual Magic on the cheap forever as long as the rest of your playgroup does the same. If you have a base of some old, decent stuff (like he does), you can totally get by with just adding a pack or two here and there to spice things up a bit.

A Punisher movie can work. It has nothing to do with the property and everything to do with how little they think they need to put into it. It comes down to writing a compelling story, with acting, action, and characters to match.

I remember seeing (reading) a news clip from a long time ago when Jane dropped out of the sequal, citing the direction it was going was not what he wanted (nor what he suspected the fans wanted) and as I thought he did a terrific job in the first movie I was inclined to believe he might have dodged a bullet. Turns out, he very well may have, if the tone of this thread is any indication.

I will agree that the new punisher looks more “Frank” than Jane, but I preferred Jane’s take to the comics in some ways. In fact, I am tired of seeing the Punisher treated like comic relief in the comics, I actually don’t like most Punisher titles, actually.

I do really love the graphic novel that show cased the origin of Jigsaw. I had that in High School. Not sure if it was just a collection of existing books or if it was a stand alone story, but I remember reading that over and over again. If I hadn’t, I’d probably really thing the character was pretty lame, now that I think about it.

I can’t wait for the career rebirth of Chris Kattan as the next Punisher.

I figured it might do a little better because they advertised the heck out of it.

The only thing more awesome would be if the thread got derailed by a Pokemon discussion. Speaking of which, isn’t the cutest thing you ever did see/hear?

-Tom

That voice will haunt me dreams. arggghhhh