Puppygames hates Steam because its customers are worthless

Awesome rant of rantiness.

Now you’re worth $1 to us. If you buy every one of our games, you’re worth $5. After Valve and the tax man and the bank take their cuts, you’re not even worth half a cup of coffee. So, while we’re obsequiously polite and helpful when you do contact us for support, even if it’s just the same old “please install some actual video drivers” response, you really should be aware that you are a dead loss. Even if you buy everything we ever make again. Even if all your friends buy everything we ever make again. You just cost us money. Not just fictitious, huge-piles-of-filthy-lucre indie-game-developer who made-it-big money. All our money. We barely scratch a living, like most indie game developers. You quite literally cost us lunch because the shop sold you a computer with broken software on it.

So you’ll understand now why customers aren’t worth anything much any more. You’ll realise why we’re actually happy to see you go if you feel like insulting us. You might add two and two together and realise that for four, we’re not going to cry ourselves to sleep over the loss of your custom when we don’t take your shit.

edit: Misunderstood the original tweet I got this story from. Puppygames actually does have games on Steam, they just aren’t very happy with it due to the stated reasons. It’s the retweeter whose games aren’t on Steam.

I have cringed first hand more than a few times lately as gamers (an already rather entitled lot) demand discounts or endless content for peanuts as they have been encouraged by endless deep discounts on Steam. I can only imagine the pain from the other side of the table as projects with blood, sweat, and shaken marriages are entirely too easily called out as “over priced crap” or “looks good, but I’ll pick it up on Steam sale.”

I like puppy games, I bought every one of their games from their store way before they were on Steam, and I never asked for any tech support! :p Eventually they even gave me free steam keys for them all!

I can see where they are coming from with their blog post. I too am falling into that “will wait for a sale” mindset on just about EVERY game now, not just indies… Mostly due to lack of time and just too many games I want to play. The chances of me buying a $20-$30 indie game are VERY rare. The only ones I can even think of this year are Clockwork Empires and Sunless Sea.

I bet a new Indie dev has a better chance of making more money doing a kickstarter than they do releasing their first game blindly on Steam.

Most likely a lot of truth in this. Bears mentioning that anyone thinking of posting re the above should take the time to read the whole article, makes the above take on a different context.

Indeed, read the whole article, else they come off badly just by that one paragraph quote!

You make it seem like only gamers do this. Lots of people do this on as much as possible, from food shopping to electrical goods to books and so on. This is the way a commercial world works. What I do see as usual is that gamers are an easy target, like saying we are an entitled lot as if anyone else isn’t really. Of course I am assuming you are not part of this and pay full price for everything all the time and don’t feel you have or need any entitlements, how refreshing you are.

Lots of truth in the article. I’ve been considering the consequence of the race to the bottom in price for developers for a good while .

Though also, they are writing it because they are in bad form economically speaking and in a few months they maybe will have to close down the studio, as I read two days ago in RPS, so they are coming from a particular perspective. I doubt they would have that perspective if they would have been successful with their past games. For reference, I considered their tower defense game (their most famous game) a mess.

To be fair they come off pretty badly in the whole thing. Can’t be assed to go point by point since I don’t give enough of a shit, but off the top of my head they seemed outright wrong about the Steam coupons. IIRC they claim that their sales on Steam are currently only because of 90% coupons which they mysteriously have no control over. Not too sure about this since the coupons like that come from the Steam trading card system, and you sure as hell don’t get 90% coupons for every game. If Valve were the ones that set the 90% coupon possibility on 'em then sure that sucks, but theoretically that was something they opted in to when they added the trading cards to their games in the first place. There was also no mention of how much money (If any) they got from the trading cards/wallpapers.

I actually like their games but that rant reflected pretty poorly on them. Unless they gave the game away by mentioning “Phil Fish is a jerk and got money because of it, now it’s Puppygames’ time to shine!”.

Heh, nice rant.

I kinda agree with the notion that Steam sale prices and bundles (or prices on the appstore) have greatly diminished the value of any individual customer to the developer. That’s kind of a given.

BUT there are a few … err … buts.
First of all, I think only a minority of folks that purchases bundles or deeply discounted games ever bother to play the games in earnest. Maybe a select few, maybe a specific title that prompted them to pick up the bundle in the first place, but I’d wager a LOT of those games go straigth to the backlog, where they rot.
Because, dear developers, just like a $1 customer holds little value to a developer, a $1 game holds little value to the person that picked it up. I must have a hundred or more tiny games on Desura that I have never even downloaded. (I’d probably have even more on Steam by now, but I make a point of only ever registering games there I want to actually play.) There are a few titles I have paid a pittance for and that I spent hours and hours playing, but these are huge exceptions.

Of those people actually playing a game, I bet only a very VERY small minority would contact support if something went wrong. Over the years, I posted in a couple of support forums - mostly for big games - but never did I even write an eMail (as far as I remember).
I also have to say I never really got valuable support, only dismissive responses ala “reinstall your audio drivers”. That hardly counts as fixing my computer, or does it?
Also, in all cases, I did have a computer that was able to run a dozen or more other installed games without any issue, so if some mystical driver issue causes that one other game to fail, is my computer broken or did those other dozen game developers do something right this particular developer did wrong? As a user, I reserve my judgement.
I have worked in first level support and know how hard it can be to deal with such issues (and the customers that have them), because often enough, you’d have to go there and do the tweaking yourself, and some issues couldn’t be resolved by anything short of a windows reinstall. That’s just the reality of IT and it’s hard to blame the users for it.
Anyway, I feel the “you’re a loss to us because we have to fix your computer for you” issue is blown way out of proportion in this rant.

Then, especially for Puppygames and many of the developers whose games appear in bundles, I feel that in the good old days where you charged $20 for a game, such games would have been FREEWARE to begin with. For those too young to remember, freeware was a sort of distribution model similar to F2P, only without IAPs. Developers cranking out their first game(s) to gain experience and/or those developing games in their spare time out of passion would just give away their creations for free. Outrageous, I know, but there were people like that back in the day.
So, while I understand the whole bread-on-the-table issue very well, I feel a vast majority of the games sold for $1 or less are just not worth money to begin with. They would not be worth much to me, anyway.

That said, I feel the entire race-to-the-bottom pricing schemes are not sustainable - especially not on the appstore and in bundles.
The latter already kinds “settled in”, you see the “usual suspects” (always the same games) appearing in various bundles, along with some crap old games that have been written off a decade ago. There’s still the occasional “highlight”, but more often than not, it’s a “$15 minimum” affair or something (which is totally understandable).
The former … I think I read 75% of all apps on the appstore make little to no money, and only the top 1% scores BIG money. That’s great news if you’re in that last group, but not so great if you’re below or even in the 75%.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think both in the AppStore and on Steam, the time of the gold rush is over, so I assume the market will somehow sort itself out at some point. We’ll see how it goes in the long run.

I didn’t know previously about their financial problems, but I think it’s quite obvious that something like that would prompt them to write such a rant. Like I hinted at above, I never particularly cared for any PuppyGames title, and it looks like there were too many people like me in that regard. Maybe they just don’t make games that are worth $20 to folks? I mean, I used to dream of making games for a living too (that was when the C64 was still around, mind you), but in the end, I had to accept that to get bread on my table, I’d better do something else for a living.

rezaf

It’s just the natural result of the indie revolution in games. They’ve democratized game-making and now we’ve gone from a situation where there were a few dozen games to pay attention to every year to there being multi-hundreds.

Puppygames should be pointing the finger at themselves. It’s not “entitled gamers” that are driving their prices down. It’s a glutted market. There’s too many games chasing roughly the same number of gamers with roughly the same amount of free time that they had before there were hundreds of new games.

If you open a bar, you are competing with other bars in the area.
If you open a car repair shop, you are competing with other similar shops in the area.
If you open an indie game company, you are competing with THE WHOLE WORLD. Which means the rate of success is pretty low.

You also have the WHOLE WORLD as a potential market, which neither of your other examples have.

I’m sure the dev post has truth in it, I’m sure in a similar but different way many industries have similar stories to tell. Western world manufacturing has been gutted by cheap imports.

True, I just left it implied. Even then, it seems it doesn’t compensate. Rate of failure is super high just because it’s so hard to be noticed. Only if you have lots of luck (and also you make a GREAT game) and you start being popular you will start taking advantage of having the world as potential market.

I wonder if the problem these days isn’t lack of customers rather than the difficulty of “reaching” them. There’s thousands and thousands of games on sale concurrently, how do you ever even get a chance to convince a player to try YOUR game above the others, even for free?
I have basically given up on trying random games on iOS because there’s too darn many of them and they’re basically useless timewasters. I MIGHT try a game recommended here, for example, but it’s rare.

It’s just like in the Freeware/modding scene of old, where there was tons of competition and sometimes, a select title would score big time and even earn the developers some money. Think Counter Strike.
The difference is, these days many folks make those games with the expectation of earning money to begin with, which doesn’t work out much more often than it does, appearently.

rezaf

I think a lot of “developers” are gonna have to re-calibrate their expectations. A lot of the more marginal indies may have to make developing games into an avocation rather than thinking they can make a living at it.

A similar indie revolution happened in music in the 70s and 80s. A funny thing happens when people figure out that they can make things on their own without needing millions of dollars and an industry to help them make it. They tend to make things in droves. There are hundreds and thousands of bands making albums and playing gigs and even touring that have very little expectation of making a living at it. And hey, every now and then some indie guy makes it to the mainstream. But mostly they do it because it can be a very satisfying thing to do, even if you never get a mansion and a sports car out of it.

Also interesting is that RPS posted about their next game yesterday and how they are pretty much out of money.

Puppy only had four months of funds left when they made the decision at the start of May. “Due to several decisions of dubious merit last year we’ve ended up wasting most of our cash on things that never flew,” they said. Oh dear. Free-to-play mmassively multiplayer war game Battledroid was still looking at another year of development, so they threw everything at a smaller game they might get to finish. Trying to Kickstart Battledroid would take too long and be unlikely to succeed, Puppy say. They also briefly worked on prototyping a pretty-looking arcade dogfighter named Skies of Titan.

Puppygames plan to release Basingstoke in October, a bit after they run out of money.

Good grief, looks like the rant in the OP was triggered by the argument in the comments section of this article…

rezaf

I did not catch that! Someone named eggy toast started it all!

Would that be true, they wouldn’t be in their situation in the first place…