Purge your backlog: we'll talk you out of that game

Out of these first person games that I haven’t played, are there any definitely not worth playing? I have them listed in my current order of how I think I’d like them. If any are past there prime and no longer worth playing even though they once were, then I’m OK with getting rid of them.

------ definitely playing these top 2 -------------
The Long Dark
Wolfenstein 2: Season Pass

Sniper Elite V2
Mount & Blade: Warband
Betrayer
Far Cry Blood Dragon
Outlast
Slime Rancher
Hard Reset Extended Edition
Viscera Cleanup Detail+DLC
Miasmata
Battlefield 3
Crysis Warhead
Red Orchestra 2
Receiver
Savage Lands

Out of these 3rd person games that I haven’t played, are there any definitely not worth playing? I have them listed in my current order of how I think I’d like them. If any are past there prime and no longer worth playing even though they once were, then I’m OK with getting rid of them.

Notes:
I’ve recently played AC: Syndicate (probably my favorite).
I have the newest Hitman and have played about 1/3 of it and liked it.
I’ve played and liked Resident Evil 4 and 5. Recently tried first HD remaster and wasn’t crazy about it.
I’ve played several other Splinter Cell games.

Resident Evil Revelations
Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Absolution
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1
Assassin’s Creed Rogue
Marlow Briggs
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Don’t even consider playing any earlier Hitman games before finishing the new one.

I haven’t tried this since they added controller support, but when this was mouse and keyboard, I thought it was a super unsatisfying melee control scheme, where you’re pressing the mouse button a lot. Click click click bullshit. No thanks.

I loved the concept of this, but I couldn’t get to the first checkpoint. I always died and had to restart the game from the beginning, including all the cutscene and tutorial bullshit over and over and over. Eventually I gave up. What kind of first person shooter has a checkpoint system where they make you play the beginning of the game over and over instead of letting you save after all the B.S. tutorials are over? This one.

You can try this yourself, I just never found the original Hard Reset as satisfying as I wished it was. Something about their enemy reactions and animations when they were getting shot.

This was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. I think it will probably still hold up.

I hope you’re not considering playing a Battlefield single player campaign.

That’s all I would be doing. I liked the Battlefield Bad Company 2 campaign.

Dump AC Chronicles. Pick one of Rogue or Black Flag, depending on setting preference. I’d say if the one you pick really hits off for you, perhaps try the other. I played and enjoyed Rogue, but got maybe 3/4 of the way before petering out.

Skip the Splinter Cell and Resident Evil games, flat out. As for Hitman, never played the series.

All of them.

All of them.

And fuck Discourse.

I’ve only played BF4, so maybe someone with more experience could weigh in, but I thought it was pretty terrible single player. The AI doesn’t know how to fight like humans do and the story is just a bunch of guys yelling “fuck” over and over again.

Really?
I thought Sniper Elite was supposed to be good. I don’t have any of the other ones.
I don’t even know what Slime Rancher is, but I do remember hearing multiple people had good things to say about it.

My posts were made for dramatic effect, lessened by the Discourse restriction on repeated posting designed to control spambots and small children.

Thanks again! Ended up keeping most of the ones people mentioned which brought me down to 6 or so rather than the huge list I started with.

And yeah, I am addicted to “underrated/overlooked” threads which means stuff like Deadly Premonition gets on my lists without appropriate vetting. I’ll try youtube for that.

This does have good word of mouth but I dropped it halfway through.

Pluses:
Relatively short (reportedly)
Pretty good battle system
Nice graphics for the style
Cool setup and intro

Minus:
The story felt compressed. I barely got to know the characters, things happened seemingly out of the blue, and I lost the will to continue when I neither cared overly for the characters or story. I am all for the concept of short RPG’s but this one is … I hate to say too short, but there it is.

Still, most people seem to like it.

Out of these platformer games that I haven’t played, are there any definitely not worth playing? I have them listed in my current order of how I think I’d like them. If any are past there prime and no longer worth playing even though they once were, then I’m OK with getting rid of them.

---------------Definitely playing Steamworld Dig 2
Steamworld Dig 2

Aztaka
Vertical Drop Heroes HD
They Bleed Pixels
King Lucus
Tiny & Big in Grandpa’s Leftovers
Waking Mars
StealthInc 2
Hamilton’s Great Adventure + Retro
Rochard
1001 Spikes

--------- Would only play if my son wants to.
LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4
LEGO Stars Wars The Complete Saga

All of them except Steamworld Dig 2!

I only played Warband a bit but it didn’t grab me. I doubt I’ll return but the high praise for it makes me wonder if I should.

Viscera Cleanup Detail is a good ‘zone out’ kind of game that’s quite amusing as a whole. I reckon it’s better with your friends when you can shoot the shit and lark about while you clean together. It’s an odd one. If you get a kick out of this gallery I made some time ago and have willing friends, then it might be for you, otherwise chuck it.

Don’t purge Miasmata until you’ve decided whether you fall into the love it or hate it camp! You should know after a few hours, tops. It’s probably my favourite open world survival game but it’s not to everyone’s tastes. I spoke about it fairly recently here and said:

Few games have made me feel as immersed, alone and tense in a virtual wilderness. Some searches on Qt3 bring up a few positive results so maybe this community is more accepting of it. This reminds me, I still need to play The Long Dark.

Waking Mars was a very enjoyable, and unique, take on the Metroid style gameplay. Played it on the phone years ago, and recommend to anyone who has some interest in the genre.

Yeah I second Waking Mars, for those that look out for this kind of thing, it’s a nonviolent Metroidvania, where you’re tasked with exploring and eventually revitalizing the environment. I think I’ve played it on three different platforms and not yet finished on any.

Haha, same! I liked what I played but found the touchscreen controls really fiddly on my tablet. I much preferred the big screen PC version with better graphics and a controller, but for whatever reason I stopped playing it. Must have got distracted or something.