PyeongChang 2018 - Winter Olympics

Anyone else watching this right now?

I’m surprised that they started the first night of coverage with so much live skating. Time zone works out perfectly for it I guess. It’s 15 hours ahead of Central time, so when it was 8:19pm here, they were reminding viewers that it’s 11:19am, and it’s so early for these figure skaters.

I love that Nathan Chan from the U.S. was introduced with a video montage. We got to see his ballet teacher, his elementary school teacher, his mom. We got to see his big hopes and dreams. And then cut live to the actual skating event, and he fell and didn’t attempt another part of this routine so he got zero points for it, and it was a complete disaster for him.

I don’t know, maybe I’m strange, but I find that kind of failure riveting on the Olympic stage. I hope we get more of that. A failure is so much more meaningful when it’s Live and it’s preceded by a video montage of the athlete’s life story.

My wife used to be a figure skater, so the skating events are always on here.

For my part, I’ve always liked the skiing, so it’s a good night for us.

I’m hyped. Remember what the stakes are here.

Figure skating is the front line in the struggle against World Communism and there’s 2 VPs up for grabs.

I don’t know, maybe I’m strange, but I find that kind of failure riveting on the Olympic stage.

When they’re getting interviewed after screwing up like that, I always yell at the TV, “It’s okay, Nathan. I forgive you. You’re still my boy!”

Took this while watching last night with my wife.

“Before we get to tonight’s AMAZING performances, a moment of silence for the brave tributes of District’s 8, 4, and 10, whom fell heroically today.”

I have cable but is there a better streaming alternative to watch this?

It’s on local broadcast if you have a semi-decent HD antenna. Multiple networks are showing things. Otherwise, check out reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WinterOlympicsStreams/

We watched some last night. The figure skaters all looked like the ice was a bit hard to work on. But man, watching the mogul runs, what exactly happens to those folks when they hit 40? I’m wondering if the knees have a limited lifetime of doing stuff like that. You see NFL folks take one odd knee strain and they are gone, meanwhile, the mogul skiers look like car suspensions being shown on a commercial with a bumpy road.

For the last summer Olympics, I paid for a TunnelBear subscription and used the CBC/BBC streams. Those were nice because I could pick up the event-only stream and watch only (say) men’s epee from beginning to end.

Good thing we aren’t at DEFCON 2, otherwise the phasing player would be boned.

It’s not just you. Bennet Foddy (creator of QWOP and Getting Over It) has a bit of an obsession with Olympic failure, and likes to live-tweet clips of Olympic athletes crying and/or puking. I’m, like, 70% sure it’s a comedy thing rather than a fetish thing.

The Norwegians are excited.

That… is… terrible. Go watch the Ylvis (Norwegian comedy duo) video for Stonehenge instead. Haha.

(NSFW)

They have 5-6 other funny videos.

I just got a high-rez 80’s flashback!

To make it complete her hair would need to be more voluminous.

I meant the gentlemen on the right, bedecked in sequined blazer and cravat ;)
(also sporting rhinestone bedazzled headset)
but like you said, a bigger hairdo and a little flat makeup and shes there!

He’s hungry like the wolf.

I saw ‘80s’ and ‘Stonehenge’ and some music Youtube embeds, but not this:

/confused

(edit: nothing like a 1.85 clip squashed to 1.33 and then pillarboxed in a 1.78 frame!)

Was the opening ceremony prior to the nations walking in pretty short, or is my memory of past openings exaggerated, or is the coverage just abbreviated?

Jong Un’s sister totally made a Lucille Bluth sneer when the US team walked out. But at least she stood. Our dumbass VP insulted a unified Korea by being the only one sitting. More reminder of the dismal state of US diplomacy.

Those drones making objects by a bunch of vertexes was absolutely awesome.

Jesus Christ. The left there loves to come up with conspiracy theories for how America is somehow to blame for the country being divided. Now why would anyone doubt it?

Katie Couric said “Miguk” twice, so this is officially my favorite Olympic opening ceremony.

I didn’t get to watch, but it was all tape delayed here in the US right? They probably cut stuff.