Qt3 2019 Reading Challenge

Here’s my tentative lineup for January.

• 1A - Main: Recipient of a major award in one of your favorite genres

I read the previous work by this author (the Inheritance trilogy) over the course of this year, and really enjoyed all of them. All three books of The Broken Earth won the Hugo award in their respective years, so I should be in safe hands and able to start the year out strong.

• 1B - Bonus: Recipient of a major award in a genre you rarely read

As far as I can remember, the only western I’ve read was Shane back in 6th grade. This won a Pulitzer and seems to be highly recommended, though it’s long enough that I’m a bit concerned about biting off more than I can chew.

• 1C - Bonus: A book that appears on a “best of 2018” list

I grabbed this off The Goodreads Choice Awards 2018 list, where it won the Science & Technology category. Loved dinosaurs as a kid, and have been curious to update myself on how the state of understanding has advanced in the meantime.

• 1D - Bonus: A book recommended by a friend or other Qt3 poster

People keep talking about The Expanse in the book thread, so it’s probably a good time to check it out.

Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite books. The miniseries is a pretty great watch, too.

Oh, sign me up. I surprised myself with reading this year, having managed to get through 23 books. That is a significant number compared to the fact I might have read no more than an average of 1 book per year for the last 10-15 years. It is nice to rediscover the joys of reading a good book, and they fill in my nightshifts beautifully now.

Sign me up for 12. I’ll be honest with myself, though I’ll see if I can manage 24 this year.

OK, it’s time to get this set up.

This won the Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America. It’s been on my to-read list for a good long while. And it was on sale for $2 on Amazon for the Kindle edition!

This is hard, I read too much! Not a lot of genres that I haven’t read something from in the last few years. I’ll go with young adult and contemporary:

Awards all over the place. And there’s a movie, in case I like the book enough that I want more of the same.

I don’t read a lot of contemporary fiction, at least not unless it’s also got sci/fi or fantasy elements. Amazon had this on their best of 2018 list, and I got it for free via Prime, so it seemed an obvious choice.

I’m fairly sure I could pick up literally any sci/fi novel from the last 10 years and someone from QT3 would have recommended it at some point. :) I’m gonna give the Bobiverse a try:

Looks like @Matt_W and @Canuck and @barstein have all read the series and said it started out well, but didn’t follow through. First book it is!

I read all three of the Last Policeman books over the summer, it’s totally worth getting to all of them.