QT3 BF2 Ranked Server

I did?

The best tip is to just jump in and play and don’t worry if you get killed a lot. You’ll get better after playing a while. Definitely play with a mic/headset, though, and definitely try to join a squad. It’s like a whole different game (and a lot more fun) with squadmates.

Remember that you can switch between automatic and single shot mode on a bunch of the rifles by selecting them again while you already have them selected. Single shot mode is way, way more accurate, but less ideal for close encounters. Crouching and going prone also increases your accuracy (going prone also makes you a lot harder to hit). I always keep a finger hovering over the crounch key while I’m on the move; there are a lot of people that still have the circle-strafing habit, but I’d try to avoid that, in general. The rifles are very inaccurate when you are moving.

The sprint key is your friend. Try to save it up for running through dangerous open areas, then find some cover and let it recharge. A sprinting soldier is a lot harder to hit.

I saw a “Dezloc” online the other night… obviously a poseur. ;)

Thanks Kevin!

Looking forward to playing you guys as soon as I get the game on Wednesday.

Can one of the rich millionare game insider guys get buy us a huge server?

I enjoyed those small games quite a bit too. Really demonstrated the value of teamwork. I think one game wumpus and I won without dying because we coordinated our efforts, got in the same tank, and used it to go to the other base where we promptly grabbed the second tank. Then we had both tanks and the ability to repair them since I was an engineer. Made things fairly easy as long as we kept the Spec Ops at bay and we did.

Yeah, wumpus is a beast when he gets some Armor.

I did?[/quote]

Maybe your overzealousness or something :)

Sometimes I get a little that way when things aren’t going my way (and teamwork would clearly change that), or people get that way with me when it wasn’t my fault to begin with. Kinda turns me off.

— Alan

I did? …I saw a “Dezloc” online the other night… obviously a poseur. ;)[/quote]

Heh, yep and yep. In all seriousness, when BF 1942 first came out you posted a message about how people were lined up waiting for planes or wandering around while your team was about to lose because they wouldn’t take flags back, and so you guys were all yelling at those dudes. That just sounded stressful and unfun if I didn’t know what I was doing starting out, so I just stuck with the single player game and coop LAN games, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

The server settings lost the password and went public today. I changed it back at around 4pm EST. Not sure how this happened, I doubt anyone figured out my password and changed it, so either the hosting company changed it, or something strange happened. I’m gonna keep my eye on it, if it happens again I’ll contact tech support and see what the deal is.

K

Re: Arty in sessions with few players: I think some sort of gentlemen’s agreement about not using Commander abilities at all in, like, any match of size 4v4 or under, might be in order. It’s a different (and fun) kind of game when all of the spotting is eyes-on and you don’t have to fear a regular rain of death.

I used to think that, but then I got good at second guessing the arty. Most of the trick is to run like hell when a flag is neutralized, wait for the arty to end, then go back and finish the capture.

One advantage to playing a 2v2 game of BF2: It really makes you appreciate when you can get back to a full game at somewhere like TG. :oops:

Having to do everything at once in small games makes being able to concentrate on one class task as part of a squad so much more enjoyable.

Well we had it up to 5 on 5 at one point (until Meister left) and it was quite a time. This game is awesome.

That was fun. Unforunately I had to leave for a while once we got to 5v5 and it was 2v2 when I got back… That was a GREAT 2v2 match, though, between Funkman and WolfSix vs me and NickW.

Yeah, that one was tight. I got some great hilarious moments out of that one. At one point I got paranoid and started planting C4 on the flag I spawned at, just in case it gave me an edge later on. Sure enough I saw a flag go gray later in the match, hit the detonator from the other side of the map, and got a kill on funkman. Only time I’ve heard laughter over the voice comms.

I’m not sure if it was Wolfsix or Funkman, but one of them was dang clever with the AT mines. Really contributed to my paranoia.

Yeah… that was me with the mines (first time as an engineer). At one point we had you guys pinned down in that you couldn’t advance because of the mines and Wolfsix had medpacs everywhere in case of emergency.

Of course, one of you went completely around… but whatever…

The only problem I’m having is with my mic, I could hear John loud and clear earlier when he was in my squad, but I couldnt get anyone to hear me. Now, I have some shitty mic I got with my sound card (I think) but I’m pretty sure it works (and it has worked with other games previously).

In any case, it was still lots of fun. Ill be around hopefully most nights to jump right back in.

Memo to self: Don’t leave IM client open while gaming, or family members will get ahold of you with computer problems they need you to troubleshoot across the 'net.

Memo to self: Don’t leave IM client open while gaming, or family members will get ahold of you with computer problems they need you to troubleshoot across the 'net.[/quote]
Away message didn’t work?

I played a few 1v1, 1v2 matches on the qt3 ranked server on Friday, but it’s not reflected on my BFHQ stat page. Is this just an instance of EA’s lag in updating or are more people required for an official match?

I’ve seen the same thing. I got gold a few times, but only have a gold I got somewhere else in my list. The stats are caught up now, I think, and are staying current.

I’ve seen the same thing. I got gold a few times, but only have a gold I got somewhere else in my list. The stats are caught up now, I think, and are staying current.[/quote]

It seems to take about 5 mins for me to get my stats update on these ranked servers.