Qt3 Blood Bowl: Sign up now for the European leagues' season 2

Eight hour meetings, two of them?! Crikes!

I don’t think I’ve ever been in one that went over 2 hours and accomplished anything meaningful from the extra time spent.

Two 8-hour ones? What on earth was anyone thinking of accomplishing with that ridiculos schedule?

I just applied with a new dark elf team, the Senegalese Sandmen, so let me know when you feel up to it and I’ll register a fresh human team.

I’ll save the Amarula Tree for the Euro Conference.

We actually accomplished a lot. Keep in mind this is university not work, so it’s not like some tyrannical boss decided we needed a 16 hour day. A deadline for a project got moved up and our original proposal got rejected, and no-one wants to skip their superbowl parties to work on it on Sunday.

I really like Humans, but I’m never quite sure whether to recommend them to new players. They’re a really flexible team, but I think that flexibility can actually be a problem for new players - they’re good at everything, but excel at nothing. To play Humans, I think you often need to adapt your play style to your opponents, rather than the other way around, which is not necessarily easy.

To me, Orcs are the best beginner team: good ball handling capabilities, powerful players (Top-3 in average strength) and the highest average armor value in the game. You may lose the match, but absent awful luck, you can’t really go badly wrong playing this team.

Other than that, I think I’d always recommend selecting a team according to the playstyle you would like to play. If passing plays is what you feel would be fun, Wood Elves are the way to go - you just need to get used to the idea of always being outnumbered (casaulties). If the Bashing game feels more fun, then the Orcs rule (Dwarves are also great, of course, but much more unforgiving due to their slow movement). Undecided? Then try the humans.

Is it time to get things rolling? How many have signed up so far?

Yes, almost time to get the ball rolling on this.

Belgeroq - Viscid Vermin [Skaven]
DobbyMD - New Team [?]
Frank Austin - New Team [?]
GloriousMess - New Team [?]
Gryff - New Team [Undead?]
Hunty - Smackrington Stanley [Norse]
IainC - Palace Owboys [Lizards]
Jarmo - R’lyeh Illithids [Necromantic]
Jasper Philips - Pirates of Lustria [Skaven]
JM - Brutish Liars [Norse]
Johan O - Svenska Akademien []
Kalle - Banhammer Tapirs [Dwarves]
Lizard King - Reverse Imperialism [Lizards]
Mark Weston - Brixton Yardboyz [Orcs]
Marxeil - New Team [?]
Sten Friberg - Green Bay Sackers [Human]
Strategy - Northern Nighthawks [Dark Elf]

Please check the list and let me know if I have missed anyone. And of course ask yourself… do you have what it takes to take away the QT3 Old World trophy from this gentledwarf?

[center]

[/center]

Proposed Rules adapted from S1:

• Weekly match schedule, though exceptions can be made for special circumstances and public holidays (easter?).

• Conceded games are scored as a 1-0 win.

• Disconnected games are replayed as soon as possible (I am online most evenings, so it’s usually possible to contact me fairly easily). A disconnect before half-time is replayed from scratch. A disconnect after half-time is replayed from the second half with the score at half-time (players must replay the first half and concede the relevant goals. No farming of SPP is allowed and any kick off results during the replay of the first half are final). If the game is not replayed (or both players agree), then the game is scored as at disconnect time as conceded game.

It is assumed that everyone puts in a good faith effort to get their games in on schedule and to finish the league (we’re all here to have fun, after all). This worked amazingly well in Season 1, and it would be nice to see this record maintained.

Currently we are at 16 teams, which opens up a lot of possible league setups. I tend to think that shorter tournaments are preferable, as it limits the temptation to drop out so the Cup setup of 4 pools of 4 teams (3 matches + 2 playoff rounds) is an obvious possibility. Perhaps too short for those who get evicted in the group stage, though? The alternative is 2 pools of 8 teams, but I am dubious of us managing to keep the league together for 7 rounds.

A league setup with multiple divisions is also a possibility of course (and pretty much mandated if any new teams sign up or drop out).

Feel free to let your opinions be known.

A cup setup sounds great, and I’m looking forward to it.

The marvelous Amazons of Amarula Tree will not take part in this tournament, but the Green Bay Sackers [Human] will. (I mistakenly entered the Amarula Tree while under the misunderstanding that this was the signup thread for euroleague #2.)

Three matches plus playoffs sounds a tad too short for my tastes, but maybe it is preferrable to something too long?
I think our last tournament of five games plus playoffs were just about right. Can we run three divisions somehow?

Not with 16 teams, the BB interface is pretty inflexible when it comes to creating tournaments. If we get to 18 teams, we could run three divisions of 6 teams each (with no playoffs or the playoffs as a separate tournament).

Any of those options would work for me. 18 teams in groups of 6 seems like a good length, neither too long nor too short, but we’d have to work out how to handle the play offs with a custom tournament.

Perhaps take the top 2 from each division, plus the next two highest ranked teams (TD differential as tie breaker), leading to a final tournament with 8 teams? I’m not sure how you’d handle seeding though; simply match 1st rank vs. 8th rank, 2nd vs. 7th, etc., regardless of which group a team initially came from?

We’d need two extra teams too.

I want in on this too, team to be decided.

Reverse Imperialism/Lizards is ready to party. All we need is one more for the three divs.

Great!
Let’s hope for three divisions then. Maybe we can let the playoffs be a bit shorter, say the best three teams plus the best #2? That way there will be only semifinals and a final, which means only two weeks of forced downtime for the 12 players that won’t make the playoffs.
I’d rather play several seasons with shorter playoffs, than have the playoffs take so long that people join other leagues in the meantime. Not to mention that it’s really hard to keep up any interest in a long playoff that you’re not a part of.

Sounds like a good plan, Sten!

Who wants to join us for a fun league? Come on in, the water’s fine! No previous experience necessary. There are already lots of first-timers in the league.

Three leagues of six sounds great. I expect I shall be propping up whichever league I’m in, mind.

I’m on the list already, but I’ll confirm my race and team name now: I’ll be fielding the Norsemen of Smackrington Stanley.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m now off to read some incomprehensible strategy articles whilst pretending to do some work.

We currently have 17 coaches expressing an interest. An 18th coach would be very welcome [non-Euro players - keep in mind you must be able to schedule games during Euro evening times].

With 18 teams, three separate leagues of 6 teams each, with the three winners and the best second place (decided by points, then TD difference followed by most TDs) going through to the playoffs would definitely seem the way to go.

I’ve noticed some people feel using the touchdown difference as a tiebreaker favours the typically higher-scoring races. How about using the result of the match between the tying teams first? I don’t have a preference myself and maybe this isn’t a real issue.

I still vote for 8 playoff spots. Having more playoffs spots will mean more players invested throughout the regular season, rather than knowing fairly early they’re locked out.

I think that’s well worth the price of going 9 weeks rather than 8 weeks.

I see a couple of problems with that:

• We’ll be comparing teams from different groups to pick playoff teams – who haven’t played each other.

• Tie games are common, and you’ll probably have to fall back on another tie breaker anyway.

I think it’s best to keep things simple, which TD differential does nicely.

Yeah, you’re right on both issues, 8 playoff spots and simple tiebreaking.