Qt3 Boardgames Podcast: Doppelt So Clever, Valeria Card Kingdoms, Brook City

Both of those expansions do something different than either vanilla ES or GoA, which is to stage your adventure into two different halves and throw things like extra timers, stage goals, and the like at you. Generally you spend Stage 1 facing easier cards and trying to bulk up your party for the harder Stage 2, in which you go about the usual business of collecting Elder Signs.

I don’t really care for either of them, if I’m honest. As @Infested_terran mentions, the staged nature of each game makes them either go on far too long or end far too quickly (as a poor showing in stage 1 can make stage 2 nigh unwinnable, so you just end up bailing on the game). I admire what they tried to do with the ES system, but I got rid of them both, as I’m perfectly satisfied with GoA.

Ugh. This sounds like exactly the opposite of why I would play Elder Sign. It’s a short, snappy, self-contained challenge. If I wanted something that sprawled more, I’d just play Eldritch Horror.

-Tom

Oh god, it’s just like the staged scenarios in Omens? Ugh

It’s not even an entertaining kind of sprawl. The only challenge is the final area. All the preceding ones are just prep. It’s more like a videogame with bad checkpoints where every attempt at the hard part you keep dying on has to go through a long easy part first.