Qt3 Boardgames Podcast: Shadows of Brimstone, Ambush, Auztralia

It’s the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game with a reskin since they lost the Warhammer license. Unfortunately, the license was a big part of the appeal.

In that case, I’ve already got it. A few times over, since it’s pretty much the template for all their cardgame boondoggles.

-Tom

I’m not sure that I’d agree that there’s that much overlap between that game and their other card games, but yes, you definitely functionally own Heroes of Terrinoth already if you’ve got WQACG. It sounds to be nearly identical from a mechanical perspective. That said, it does seem to come with more content than the original implementation did (more heroes, more quests - though not a campaign) and there’s been a couple small tweaks. And of course, there’s the opportunity for FFG to expand it in a way they never got to do with the Warhammer version because it came out so late in their deal with Games Workshop.

I thought that this American Independence Day might be a fine time to review the essential elements of game storage.

Proper use of Plano:

Improper use of Plano:

@justaguy2 take note.

Recently watched the (30+ videos) series on The Dungeon Dive covering Shadows of Brimstone.

Nothing I have seen anywhere has convinced me so thoroughly I cannot get into this scale of the hobby. If I need a phone booth space full of self-created organization/containerization just to store the game, I’m out. If a game is bigger than a one-volume Van Nostrand’s Scientific Encyclopedia, I will stick with digital.

Standard Volumetric Reference:

Don’t forget you have to hand assemble the minis. That alone would be enough to turn me off that one.

Based on some anecdotal reviews, at least one version of Brimstone had minis that didn’t exactly fit together particularly well, either.

My proudest life hack was when I gave up collecting Warhammer Fantasy minis and just started using cardboard squares as formations and wrote the unit type on them with a marker. This cardboard rectangle is “goblins”, and this cardboard rectangle is “knights”.

Suddenly I could field any army with any composition I wanted!

Suddenly after that, I realized that the rules for WH:F are clunky and not that great!

The solution to this is to just get into Battleground: Fantasy Warfare. The system is interesting, the units are already 2D (printed on playing cards), and an entire army, as big as the game can take, is $30. Good stuff.

Interesting. Had never heard of that one.

It’s a wacky thing of its own, and honestly one of my favorite games. The system is kind of… you put all your units on a programmed autopilot at the beginning of the game, but then each turn can use a limited number of command points to alter (temporarily or permanently) those orders, or to draw from a deck of army-specific command cards that give various single-use advantages. Each army (there are at least a dozen) plays very differently from the rest. Damn near every fantasy race is accounted for at this point, and they did a few historical sets. The worst thing about it is the terrible CGI art, though. It’s pretty bad.

I actually hunted up a set of semi-lost Solo rules via the Wayback Machine last year and played a match with them. I’d really like to build a campaign system for solo games- build up a warband, etc. That would be good fun.