Qt3 Boardgames Podcast: Too Many Bones, Quacks of Quedlinburg, Twilight Imperium

Tom Chick, Hassan Lopez, and Mike Pollman have been playing Too Many Bones, Quacks of Quidinburg, and Twilight Imperium. Also a bit of Wasteland Express Delivery Service, Vindication, and the latest Arkham Horror.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/03/08/qt3-boardgames-podcast-too-many-bones-quacks-of-quedlinburg-twilight-imperium/

Warning: this podcast made me buy Too Many Bones. We need a surgeon general’s warning sticker.

Is anyone else not seeing this podcast in their iOS podcast app?

Tom, the podcast is showing up in the movie podcasts.

So it does.

Looking forward to lifting to it. Quite a few games in my wheelhouse in this one.

Can’t wait to listen, especially since I just recently had my first ever encounter with Twilight Imperium.

How many bones is too many, exactly?

About 300?

Good timing as I just broke out TMB again to see if I can get back into it. The difficulty has clubbed me on the head so far but I’m going to try out a 3 character solo game and see if that helps.

Oops. The intern who posts the podcasts was a little too excited about the upcoming movie podcast after having gotten back from Captain Marvel. The issue has been fixed and that intern, who I always suspect was just a cat and not actually a flerkin, has been fired.

Do not be afraid to use the recommended difficulty level adjustments in the back of the rules book. I’m only playing with the middle one, where you start with an extra HP and a free training point. Also, I would recommend scaling back down to two players. One of my issues with the game is that I think the map gets clogged up with more than two players and it loses a bit of its elegance. It’s too easy for three and four characters to just jam the map up.

My other issue is that I find the characters, well, um, how to say this? Uh, ugly? Why do I have to play as these weird gnome things?

-Tom

And? Do tell.

-Tom

Spoiler! But that potentially makes me really happy.

So listening to this podcast has me really interested in Too Many Bones, but I need some help clarifying what’s “required” with all these add-ons. The Chip Theory store lists the base game for $130, which is expensive but a lot less than the $340 mentioned on the podcast. Would I be missing out on the full experience if I just purchased the base game? I see I could buy additional characters later on if I wanted but what are all these expansions?

Oh, gosh, that’s my bad. I’m assuming – facetiously – anyone who buys the core game will end up loving it so much they go all in. I should have been more clear about that on the podcast.

But there’s no reason to jump all-in before you spend some time with the $130 core set. That will get you everything you need to play and appreciate (or not) Too Many Bones. The additional stuff isn’t any new systems so much as new content that you might never even see until you’ve played a lot. You’re fine just getting the base game.

-Tom

And premium health. Obviously.

Thanks for the update, I’m glad to hear the base game gives you the whole experience without needing to beef it up with add-ons. However if I was going to budget say $200, what would give me the best value for my buck? Buy 2-3 more characters? Buy just the Undertow expansion?

Not Undertow. Undertow is a standalone follow-up for folks who’ve played though the base game a few times over. It’s nice to have the additional four characters from Undertow, but everything else will be sitting in the box waiting for you while you play the base game.

I’d say get 40 Days in Daelore for the extra critters and encounter cards. Then maybe pick one or two of the additional characters. Tink is the robot engineer guy I talked about on the podcast, and Ghillie has some cool pet options. Gasket is a guy locked in a power-armor suit who has to manage steam power. You can’t go wrong with whichever of those sound interesting. But not Nugget. Nugget feels like a B-side character.

-Tom

Ok great I’ll check out 40 Days and take a look at those characters too. I’m thinking I’ll likely place an order today. Looking forward to trying this out solo!

Hey, can we get a commission from Chip Theory for all the copies you’re selling, Tom?

Well this came today. Really excited to dig into it this weekend. I can already feel my resistance to spending that full $360 wavering…