Qt3 Classic Game Club #18: Doom

Good point about how third person games seem to do fine with hordes of enemies. I’m sure Call of Duty had a lot of guys on screen too. Maybe that’s not it.

One of the reasons I was so interested in Hyrule warriors is that screen mostly consisted of enemies and the gameplay appears to be continually batting them away.

I’ve never heard the term “popcorn enemies” before, but whatever they’re called I loves 'em.

So I really have a game backlog. And I wasn’t gonna do it… But purchased Doom2 from Steam. Interesting note: It downloaded in seconds. I forgot that it came on, what, 3 floppies?

Sorry for double post. Why would BitDefender shut down when I launch Doom 2 via Steam in DOS Box? Something seems screwy here.

Not sure, but I wouldn’t bother with DOSBox. There’s a source port called Chocolate Doom that recreates the original experience without using DOS.

Yeah, I can understand using some other launcher. But my issue is that antivirus software is not supposed to be shut down by, well, any software except for its control panel. By me. So this kinda disturbs me.

I was just browsing through the Top 100 WADs of All Time (1994-2003). Anyone remember Dwango5?

I missed a couple of the classics so I’m going to play through Requiem. Also Scythe because I hear it’s challenging but short. Some of these megawads take forever.

You probably heard about Scythe in my post ;)

For the rest of you: Take that as 2 independent recommendations about Scythe!

Hah I see it now. Maybe it planted a subconscious seed. Most of the review summary blurbs agree with you.

Also, you might have convinced me on texture filtering. It’s the same thing as Cave Story. These game clubs make me try the pixel graphics and now I don’t think I can go back.

I’m finally in for one of these! I really miss the slow moving fireball of the enemies in Doom, like the imp weapon. It’s fun as heck to strafe around them.

I do not miss the key card hunt mechanic entirely. The shotgun still rocks. Being chased by invisible demons is still scary.

Is the chainsaw in the first Doom? I haven’t seen it yet.

Yep, I ran across it in a secret area in level 2.

One of the fun things about Doom is dodging a room full of projectiles whilst trying to prioritise shooting the few hitscan mobs that there are. Something I definitely miss in modern military realistic hitscan games.

Have many of you found any of the pushwall secrets yet? (the walls that act like doors). Most of the hidden walls in Doom are “obvious” if you know what to look for – inconspicuous light levels, deliberately misaligned textures, different wall texture, strange light fittings, etc etc etc. It pays to have a quick look around a room or corridor after clearing it out. (Plus it allows you to cast an eye over the carnage you caused).

Also, keep an ear out for the thunk of an elevator. Quite often you’ll walk forward and there’s a thunk behind you. Run back and you might see it just closing. Repeat and you might make it in in time :)

I think such additions, and a player knowingly looking for such additions, really helps you connect with the environment and architecture in a way not present in other such games that you might just breeze through.

I fired up Chocolate Doom and played through Episode 1 last night. My first reaction was “wow, was Doom really this low res?” Then the music kicked in and my nostalgia meter pegged and I didn’t care. I was playing on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty and remembered enough secrets that my health was almost always above 100%. Compared to Ziggurat the pace felt leisurely.

The pistol start idea is interesting. It explains why some of the levels drop shotguns or chainguns right near the start point when the player should have had one for several levels. I’ll have to try playing through with pistol starts at a higher difficulty level.

Most FPS players these days should be able to cruise through the original campaigns on Ultra-Violence. That’s not true for a lot of modern WADs that are genuinely difficult on HMP.

Even Ultimate Doom (episode 4) can be pretty tough if you’re out of practice. Try that one on UV to see how you measure up. That episode is excellent by the way.

I just went cross eyed… translator? What is a WAD… or HMP.

WAD was explained in the context of the first post. It’s a custom map/mod.

HMP is an acronym for Hurt Me Plenty, the third difficulty level that Casey mentioned above.

Ah, thanks. I remember you posting about mods, but there are some common acronyms for shooters I sometimes miss. Wasn’t sure which of the letter soup bits that fit.

I love how enemy friendly fire is such a big part of this game, almost from the beginning. Right in the 3rd level (Doom II), you get your chain gun enemies with potential crossfire between them and the fireball imps and the shotgun guys. It’s my first death in the game too, and the first really challenging moment on Ultraviolence. Great level, and excellent use of space and enemy density.

I’m amazed at how small these early levels are. For some reason, in my mind, I remember the levels being a lot bigger and lasting longer. But they’re really small, and over pretty quick.

AI friendly-fire rage needs to make a comeback. What shooters have we seen with it since Doom? Bioshock is all I can think of right now.

Double Fine posted the latest in their excellent Devs Play series, a detailed lets play of Doom (featuring John Romero).