Qt3 Classic Game Club #21: Freespace 2

Yeah, that’s the one I have. I bought it some years ago on ebay, to play mechwarrior and sturmovik, but it’s been collecting dust for a while.

Has anyone tried openfreespace 2, or whatever it’s called? Apparently, that version supports trackir, which is another gadget that’s been collecting dust around here.

Whoa, Freespace Open supports TrackIR? Whoa…

Brian - can you explain how to set up the widescreen, high graphic mod? I’ve played through FreeSpace 2 more than any other game - I used to do it annually, but stopped around 2006. Might be due for another replay. It’s in my top 5 games ever too - that list pops around in my mind, but it definitely could be number 1 for me too. Its story, the capital ships, the beam weapons and flak cannons, its music, the design evolution to the ships…but most of all the intelligence of its story and design elements.

I’m sad that I don’t have time to play any games these days. I would so love to join in on this. It’s one of my favorite games. I just love how they can tell a tale like this with very brief cutscenes of space with voice-over dialog, dry mission briefings by the excellent Robert Loggia, and the action as it unfolds within the missions themselves. The most cost efficient story ever told in a game, perhaps, based just how deep a story they were able to tell, and the emotions and most of all, the mood they were able to invoke. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I’m genuinely shocked it’s only the 5th time he’s played it!

Sure, I used these manual instructions for my own build:

But at the time I wasn’t aware that the FSO Installer was working again. This will download and install all the mods you need.

http://www.fsoinstaller.com/

But the thread above should still help setting up the launcher and such.

Well, I wanted time to pass between each play through so I’d forget enough so the story would still be impactful. ;)

I tried to play this a while ago and got completely overwhelmed trying to figure out a reasonable control layout. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Any suggestions?

It’s even better than you think. When severely damaged, it changes your center point, so you have to fight the stick to fly straight. But yes also, you can tell which side you’re getting hit from.

This game is the reason I keep my FF2 around.

oh god I need to get one right now

I was going to throw my FF2 out a while ago - glad I didn’t. Does it work (well) with Elite?

Don’t tell him about the massive shake in the stick when caught in the blast radius of capital ships.

There’s no force feedback in Elite but I’m sure it works okay as a joystick.

Yes! That is probably the coolest FF effect in the game.

It’s quite nearly perfect and it remains my favorite game after all of these years. How many games are that well thought out? Or that well written?

But I owe a thank you, albeit a belated one. I purchased FS2 on the strength of your review. Lord… I don’t think I slept that weekend. I had sorties to fly, and a galaxy to save.

Beautiful post, Lemon. It’s still totally my favorite game as well.

So an aside, is anyone flying a Force Feedback 2 these days? My Saitek is creaking like hell and I’m worried it’s on its last legs, so I’m seriously considering it as a replacement alongside a CH throttle.

I use one for Rise of Flight. The problem is finding a really nice one. I bought two and I can feel the gears grinding slightly with each of them. No one else seems to have the problem so I don’t know.

I guess I never notice it anymore so maybe I’m just picky.

Yeah, I’m keeping an eye out for one in good condition and I see a few, but I don’t feel ready to bite yet. I want it so, though.

Maybe you could do a branding deal on your YouTube channel for Call of Duty.

I’m…not…what?